Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #1 
Katy

Will my tanks cycle with 1 fish?

I was not able to do fishless tank cycles. I have several 5 and 10gal tanks, all with 1 or 2 (divided) bettas, some live plants (about 1 plant per gallon in each tank), and no other fish or snails or anything. I do water changes rather constantly in all my 10 tanks to keep levels down. (About 10-50% 1-2 times per week depending on the tank and situation).

My question is, is there a way to cycle my tanks? I don't really ever let the ammonia get high enough to promote bacterial growth. But now that there are some live plants it's quite difficult to do water changes. Any suggestions?
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

That should cycle your tanks. It will take a while (probably 2-3 months), but a stable cycle will develop. You could just try adding more fast-growing plant so you eliminate the need for a cycle.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #3 
Katy

Thanks! Any advice on what kind of plant load I might need to serve as an ammonia sink if the tanks are not cycled? And what plants are the fastest growers? I currently use Anubias and have a few java moss floating. My conditions are low-moderate light. Thanks!
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Neither of those plants are fast-growing at all. Both fall into the slow category. Unfortunately most of the fast-growing plants also need med-high lighting. They might be able work in your lighting but the growth won't be as fast. You could just try adding more low-med light plants like java fern. Or if you wanted to try fast-growing plants you should look at anarcharis/elodea. I have them in my med-low light setups, and they do okay there for the most part. Floating plants like water sprite and duckweed also work.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote