Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #1 
fayhe37

Male & Female together in a 10 gal tank?? Your advice pl

I just started in the whole fish experience. I was at a $ .98 store and they had male bettas. I saw a stunning blue and couldn't resist. Since than, I bought a 1 gal tank & plants and before I put it all together and "SLICK" in the tank a friend said get a bigger tank, and so I did. I got a 10 gal tank, some big rocks, plants, even a aerating shipwrech for decor. I also got a female betta and im ready to put everything together (tank, decor, etc..).

Now the guy at the "all fish" store said it wouldn't be a problem to put a male & female betta in the same tank (referring to my 1 gal tank) and they wouldn't fight. But I have a 10 gal tank instead So I guess what I want to know before I put both of them in the 10 gal tank is has anyone had problems with male & female betas in the same tank??
Also what other kind of fish can be kept with bettas without fights??
fayhe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: Male & Female together in a 10 gal tank?? Your advic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayhe37
I just started in the whole fish experience. I was at a $ .98 store and they had male bettas. I saw a stunning blue and couldn't resist. Since than, I bought a 1 gal tank & plants and before I put it all together and "SLICK" in the tank a friend said get a bigger tank, and so I did. I got a 10 gal tank, some big rocks, plants, even a aerating shipwrech for decor. I also got a female betta and im ready to put everything together (tank, decor, etc..).

Now the guy at the "all fish" store said it wouldn't be a problem to put a male & female betta in the same tank (referring to my 1 gal tank) and they wouldn't fight. But I have a 10 gal tank instead So I guess what I want to know before I put both of them in the 10 gal tank is has anyone had problems with male & female betas in the same tank??
Also what other kind of fish can be kept with bettas without fights??
Welcome to Fishforum.com.

That guy is wrong. The male betta will constantly harass the female in his efforts to spawn. Keep them separated.

A 10g can support about 5 harlequin or hengeli rasboras along with 2-3 otos and that's it.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 AM   #3 
herefishy
Banned

I think tht you may be able to put both sexes of bettas in the same tank if a) you put multiple females in the tank, say 2-4, and you add floating plants, such as elodea, en masse, in the tank also. Multiple females will give the male multiple targets if he chooses to be "frishy". The plants will provide both cover for the females and provide a calming effect for both sexes.

An added note here, the females are much more mobile than the male. This allows them to "swim" away from aggressive advances of the male. by adding multiple females, you spread out any aggressiveness to more than a single fish.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #4 
MattD

The worker was wrong. They will fight, no question about it. The ratio of males to females needs to be high, I believe 1:4 or 5 in order to keep the aggression spread out enough.

Although I've never kept females before so I could be wrong.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #5 
BlackWolf1489

I keep females and I find them to be just a combative as males. I have four of them and I can't keep them together because they are so mean to one another! I keep one in a floating breeder in my 10gal so that my biggest happiest male can see her. His name is Akaryu or "Red Dragon" in Japanese.
Anyway that guy was so wrong because no matter what I have found that males harrass females in small spaces. Or she may even start to chase him! I've had this happen. But in most cases she'll become extremely stressed out and may even die. If you want to show her to your male I recommend a floating breeder. You just have to clean it at least once a week because of all the poop that builds up on the bottom. My bettas poop like crazy! lol
BlackWolf1489 is offline   Reply With Quote