Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #1 
YoshesMom

Exclamation Blind betta?

So I got this guy from petsmart today and I thought he was blind but the guy at the store said it might be a bacterial infection but I don't think so because the cover over his eye is the same as his scale color I think the scales grew over his eye
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #2 
YoshesMom

This is his " good " side for comparison it isn't that great either its small and kinda squinted
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #3 
Luimeril

it's possible that it's a bacterial infection. but, then, it's also possible that he's just blind. it's hard to tell, really. how's he acting? sick at all?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #4 
Enkil

It does look like he could be blind in the eye or maybe have sight impairment. Especially compared to the other eye.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #5 
Luimeril

blind bettas are a weakness of mine. ever since Theo. if he IS blind in that eye, you might wanna avoid too many sharp decor, and stick with silk plants so he doesn't accidentally poke himself.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #6 
YoshesMom

I just got him into a hospital tank a few minutes ago...he seems fine but he hasnt eaten that could be due to stress or the fact that he cant see his food or any number of things he also hasnt reacted to the male next to him or the tank full of females on the other side of him ..or his own reflection. Im pretty sure i read somewhere that there scales can grow over there eyes and the only thing that makes me think its that is because his eyes is the EXACT color of his scales
Old 05-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #7 
Luimeril

it might be a good idea to teach him to get food at a certain spot, and give him some kind of signal that it's feeding time. Theo knew to go to the one corner of his tank and poke about for his feeding ring whenever i'd scrape the lid of his tank off(it was a plastic divider, so it made a noise when i'd remove it)...
Old 05-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #8 
YoshesMom

im hoping its just an infection and will go away on the plus side I did get a 10 dollar beautiful halfmoon for 2.99 :)
Old 05-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #9 
Luimeril

i hope it is, too. but, if it turns out to be actual blindness from scales, it'll just add to his charm. other than being more skittish than other bettas, and able to live in plain sight of another betta, Theo was just like a betta who could see. :3 no major difference.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #10 
YoshesMom

I adopted him thinking he would be blind so im not to worried about it im sure he will eventually be able to find his food by smell im 98% sure he cant see out of that eye at all the petsmart employee ( the only one in the store that knows about fish ) said to try Primafix...have you used that at all?