Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #1 
Psylk87

Normal for bettas to change color?

I am new to bettas and when I first got my boy he was the the blue in my avatar. Well he is still blue but his head and front half of his body has darkened up A LOT like his head is almost black and then its kind of a gradient from there.

Is it normal for Bettas to change color? Should I be concerned? Is he just maturing? The board seemed to think he was fairly young...

Help? lol
Psylk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

It's fairly common for them to change color - especially if you just got him. In the petshop they are stressed out and cold but once they get into a nice warm tank most usually color up. I had one girl i picked because she had no color and was still very young. I kept her in her cup on my dresser while i tried to figure out where to put her and when i went to put her in a tank like 20 minutes later she was blood red in color .

There is also something called the marble gene which causes bettas to literally change color. Normally its white bettas that get darker but dark bettas can also turn lighter

Is your guy acting normal - still eating and isn't lethargic? he is probably just happy but keep an eye on him just in case
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #3 
ravenwinds

Very true....I've read many stories on this site alone about bettas drastically changing color. One of my bettas turned from a pale white/skin color to a dark blue butterfly Delta Tail...also changed from a female plakat to a male DeT....the marble gene sometimes will drastically change color.

It sounds like your boy is darkening due to maturity....they reach sexual maturity long before they are full grown...a very common blue is what you are describing with the nearly black head and dark blue the rest of body...too bad because I really like the blue of your avatar!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 
Foisair

My delta tail boy Beast ended up being a marble. He started out with a little more white than my avatar and now he's completely dark blue with a black head. It's really neat to watch them change but I kind of miss the white.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #5 
Domino

When I first got Logan, he was a sickly pale yellow, but after swimming around in a 5 gallon tank for a while, he turned deep orange.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #6 
True Indigo

It's definitely possible. When I got my betta (pictured), he was primarily red with a little tiny bit of aqua-blue on his top fin. Now half his body is aqua-blue and some of his fins have blue edges to them. He has even more blue now than you see in the picture.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #7 
Bethydan

I love that name, True Indigo. You should get an orange betta now and name it Magikarp.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #8 
True Indigo

Hahaha, thanks. It made more sense when I got him. He was very feisty and would thrash around whenever I got near. He was more red than he is now and it reminded me of the Red Gyarados from the game. Hahaha.

Maybe I'll get an orange plakat and name it Magikarp. Haha. XD Glad you like the name though!
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #9 
Cattitude

Armand is a lot darker blue in the body now than he was in my avatar. He's a beautiful royal blue now, it's still a bit marbled. His head is still pale and his fins haven't changed.

He was spawned last December, so I am guessing he will continue to change colour as he matures. I'm not sure what age they mature at, but he's still pretty small.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #10 
Sivan

Young bettas generally develop their colors as they get older, which changes what they look like in terms of color. If they are in poor conditions they turn pale, which is a cause for concern. If your betta pales it is important to find out why.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote