Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #21 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberawr View Post
So catfish are a good mate for a male betta?
This depends on a lot of things. There are literally thousands of species of catfish, so you are going to have to be much more specific. The second thing is tank size. Unless your betta is in a 10 gal or more tank, it's not a good idea to put other fish in with him. If you explain your situation more, maybe we can help.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #22 
Amberawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
This depends on a lot of things. There are literally thousands of species of catfish, so you are going to have to be much more specific. The second thing is tank size. Unless your betta is in a 10 gal or more tank, it's not a good idea to put other fish in with him. If you explain your situation more, maybe we can help.
i have a 3 gallon tank atm i can always get a bigger one but i want him to have a buddy and hes kinda messy with his food so a bottom feeder would be nice to clean up all the food that he lets fall to the bottom of the tank
Amberawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #23 
MaisyDawgThirteen

In your 3 gallon you could have some shrimp or a small snail with him. Some bettas like to make a snack out of shrimp though. D:

For fishy tankmates you need a 10 gallon or above. Cory catfish are very popular bottom feeders on this forum. You need to have 4+ since they are schooling fish.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #24 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberawr View Post
i have a 3 gallon tank atm i can always get a bigger one but i want him to have a buddy and hes kinda messy with his food so a bottom feeder would be nice to clean up all the food that he lets fall to the bottom of the tank
If you just want something to clean up the extra food, I would get some shrimp. Bottom feeders like cory catfish can't live on scraps alone. And shrimp can fit in a 3 gallon tank. Cory cats cannot.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #25 
Sheldon31

Corys are amazing little fish, stay relatively small and mine do a pretty good job at cleaning up excess food. Things to remember with them though:

They need to be in schools of at least 4+ to be happy so a small tank wouldnt be able to house them. 10g with a good footprint is ideal.

The cannot live off just scavenging and require a ballanced diet much like your Betta.

Substrates are limited due to their sensitive barbels (whiskers). Sharp or large gravel will damage them so sand is best and more rewarding.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote