Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #1 
bellasia

What Do You Make Of This!!!

Hi

Well just had to share Blaze who ive had for 6mths now, seems to be trying to communicate with us either that or hes anticipating his food lol. Whenever we go to his tank he will act pretty crazy and open and close his mouth, he only does this when we go to his tank. Another interesting observation he will not go over to greet strangers and will back away whoever said fish wernt intelligent im not buying it. Does any1 else's fish do this?
bellasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #2 
Sheldon31

Kyon does the same. He takes a big interest in what I am doing if I'm near his tank and as soon as the tank lid gets opened he's right up there giving me pretty dances and "talking to me". It's really really cute! Betta's are well loved for their friendliness with their owners.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 
ravenwinds

That is one of the things that I fell in love with in regards to the betta breed! I adore their personality traits and their communication skills. I caught my copper OHM lounging on a java fern leaf like he was Cleopatra on her chaise lounge with his fins spread out perfectly around him...I keep cursing myself for not taking the pic before attempting to wake him up!e
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #4 
brenna33

Both my boys do it! I find it hilarious! I got a video of Barold doing it:
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...t=MVI_2049.mp4

He usually has more wiggle than that (yesterday he splashed water and he was so amazed that he stopped and had to go and check out the surface). When I took the video (Wednesday) he saw the camera and decided to be a bit more sophisticated. Whenever Harold sees the camera he goes into a flaring, running around frenzy. So needles to say I couldn't get a video of him doing it.
brenna33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

That's very cute!! Love it! :D
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #6 
bellasia

This is my first Betta so its all pretty fascinating to me, i love hearing everybodies stories, Blaze also loves jumping for his food as well as playing follow the remote control with my son.
bellasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #7 
bahamut285

It's simple Pavlovian Learning and Association. They associate your body shape/gait/voice with food.

Bettas are fairly easy to train compared to other fish, though.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #8 
Enkil

Hannibal greets me and does the cutest wiggle dances. He greets my daughter as well, but no one else. If I'm near the tank and my boyfriend comes too close to me, Hannibal starts flaring at him. XD He also flared at one of the great danes.

My sorority girls greet me quite often. They gather when they know it's feeding time and I or my boyfriend approach.

My HM boys greet me with very beautiful dances. They inspect others but don't dance for them.

My newest boy isn't quite settled in enough to really have a ritual yet.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #9 
True Indigo

My betta, Gyarados, did that and would follow me around at the pet store. He didn't do it to my other friends who went with me. I didn't really care for his color and type, but because of his personality, I got him for it. He still does it to me from time to time. He'll swish back and forth rapidly and then stop to open and close his mouth quickly at me. I love it.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #10 
Bethydan

All mine love when I clean my room. They're excellent supervisors. But I feel that it's unfair to have three supervisors and only one person doing the work. They always think that I'm going to do water changes when I start straightening up. And Mag thinks that it's cool to play with the gravel vacuum.

But if anyone else comes up, they're gone. A couple of them recognize my little sister. But otherwise, they're a one-people kind of fish.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote