Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 
Wolfgurl989

Talking Any advice?

I have just recently aqcuired two betta's (still have yet to give names). A red and blue one, and a blue and silver one. I got a dual betta tank with a divider in it to house them both in, until something unexpected happened. The blue and silver one slipped around the divider somehow and went after the other.

The red is still in the tank, the divider is out, and he has three fake plants and a little japanese statue figurine to hide under and in.

While I found the biggest vase in my house to put the blue and silver one in. I put one of the fake plants from the tank (both originally had two on each of their side's) and some blue marbles in with it to try to make it feel more at home. However I feel that the vase is not big enough. The tank that the red one is in is 2.5 gallons, the vase is less than that.

What can I do until I can get time to go to the pet store and purchase another betta tank to make my blue and silver betta feel more at home? He's not the hiding sort, like the red one is, but I want him to have a place to hide and feel safe. The vase is too small to allow that however.

Any ideas? I want them to be as happy as possible.
Wolfgurl989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
Laki

As long as the water is warm and clean they should be okay as long as the vase is larger than a gallon. Return the tank and divider to the store. How big was it anyway? Get a 5g tank or bigger to divide. There are stickies and tutorials on how to MAKE pretty secure dividers out of plastic craft store sheets.

I'm glad your fish are okay!! Divider slips happen though :(
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #3 
Wolfgurl989

Thats the problem, I don;t think its a gallon. my red fishie has comfort in enough room on the bottom and throughout while the blue only has a small area to actually swim in and it makes me sad. I want him to be able and comfortably flare, strut, swim, sleep and be comfortable.

It's my first time owning betta fish on my own without my parents help, we had them as little kids but our parents took care of them, not us, and the bowls they were in were very tiny. Now I know better.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

There should be NO SHARING if the tank is less than 5 gallons. If the divider is clear and see through,they would be stressed the WHOLE TIME. What happens if you keep being watched by a rival? Sounds like a stalker to me. Anyways,if you want a cheap big tank,go for a Kritter Keeper. Get the Large or Medium sized ones. There is a thread here about how many gallons are in each one. As for the slipping,this will result in injured or I dare even say,DEAD Betta. If you want any other kind of help,please just ask. In the meanwhile,watch out for the slip-ins and keep the water warm and clean. Good Luck with these fish.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #5 
BeckyFish97

The vase will work as a temporary measure with the right maintenance. I would say daily/every 2 days water changes, untill you can get down to the fish store and get a new tank for him, it would be good getting a 5 gal because then you could divide that and have two very happy betta's, there are stickies on this forum about how to make a secure divider, but even then, accidents can still happen as they are live animals with a mind of their own!!!
Also try and keep the vase as warm as possible!!!
Forgot to mention, try to avoid using see through dividers because this will torture the males trying to get through to each other and stake a claim over their turf!!!

Last edited by BeckyFish97; 05-04-2012 at 05:43 PM.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

Heres what I do for a makeshift tanks, I either use my biggest plastic tupperware with gravel, or the hospital tank, or my water change bucket.

Whatever works for you, and I would have AT LEAST 3 gallons per betta, I took my betta out of his 2.5 gal cuz it was too small for him, and yeah.. you had 2 in there..

I would suggest a bigget tank for both, maybe divide a 10 gal?

And also you could try 2 5 gals, I hate see-through dividers and dont use them at all. I prefer separate tanks for each betta.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #7 
Wolfgurl989

I plan to keep them both in seperate tanks, they seem much less stressed out that way, before I DID notice my blue and silver one flaring up and scaring the red one. So, I will keep them seperate. I plan to change 10-15% of their water today because it is the third day I have had them, and also I have noticed a small layer of bubbles on the top of both tanks. Not sure if it's a bubble nest or not but if it was that would mean they are both happy despite me being worried about the one in the vase.

I'm keeping the tanks as warm as possible and I will definatly get another fish tank for the one in the vase, thankyou all for answering =) it's helped a lot
Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #8 
Wolfgurl989

And also I plan to get them both a little "fish hut" if you will because I noticed that while I was talking to (yes...I do talk to them...I prefer to think it helps them become less lonely and recognize me because bettas are smart fish) that my red one watched me for a bit, swimming as close as possible to the glass, then slowly swam away and hid behind one of the plants.

Do they need their own hide-out like we need our own rooms??
Old 05-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

no, thier tank is thier own room. But they do enjoy hideouts :D
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote