Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #1 
bettabreederla

My crowntail wont eat!!

i bought a gorgeous red white and blue crowntail. he is blue with a butterfly pattern that turns red on all but his dorsal fin where it turns white instead. ive had him for about a week now. i keep him in what is my most well set up 10 gal tank with lots of plants and hiding places, even a few nesting sites so he has choices as i bought him to be my first breeder male. thing is... HE WONT EAT. water temp stays an even 78, i use treated tap water. i have tried hikari bio gold pellets, i have tried hikari freeze dried daphnia, and i have tried hikari freeze dried blood worms... has he boycotted hikari?!?! please help my friend
bettabreederla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Okay. There are 2 reasons for these things to happen:
1. The Betta is new and still getting used to
2. The Betta is sick

Is the Betta inactive and lethargic? Or is he active and looks healthy as ever? Does he even see the food? When did he arrive?
PLEASE answer these so I know what is happening. Thank You.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE BLACK ORCHID!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #3 
Megalechis

Are there any shrimp or snails in the tank he might be snacking on?
Do you remove uneaten food immediately, or let him have some private time with it?
Do you have any sources of live food you could try with him?
Megalechis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #4 
bettabreederla

there are no shrimp or snails... i remove uneaten food normally after 5 mins but i have left it up to 15 the past couple days. currently i have no source of live food and will not be able to afford any until friday. if anyone knows a NO-budget (not low budget) way to obtain live food please share. i need help
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #5 
bettabreederla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Okay. There are 2 reasons for these things to happen:
1. The Betta is new and still getting used to
2. The Betta is sick

Is the Betta inactive and lethargic? Or is he active and looks healthy as ever? Does he even see the food? When did he arrive?
PLEASE answer these so I know what is happening. Thank You.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE BLACK ORCHID!!!
He swims about and flares for me when he see's me walk by. he appears healthy, and he is a new arrival in my home. however i bought RIGHT out of the shipment box at work when he arrived, right out of the crate and home with me he does also see the food. we willl swim up, look like he is about to eat, and its like he changes his mind

Last edited by bettabreederla; 05-04-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: unanswered question
Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #6 
Bethydan

It's a new betta thing. My CT did the exact same thing for a few days. I was using Hikari pellets as well. I had never had issues with Mag or Wystan disliking the pellets. I switched to the New Life Spectrum Betta Formula pellets anyway. They're a bit smaller and apparently are much more delicious, cause the little monster gobbled them up immediately. They sink after a few seconds of floating, and Fain prefers moving "prey" that he has to work for. He used to just stare at the pellets and then decide he didn't want them that badly. Now he begs me for the new pellets.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #7 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettabreederla View Post
i i have tried hikari bio gold pellets, i have tried hikari freeze dried daphnia, and i have tried hikari freeze dried blood worms... has he boycotted hikari?!?! please help my friend
The pellets are good. Quality pellets are a good base of a Bettas diet.

However, anything freeze dried could cause problems. I've heard they can cause bloating and really don't have many nutrients.

Instead of freeze dried, try getting frozen bloodworms. You have to keep them in the freezer, and just thaw a tiny bit at a time. Bloodworms are a treat, so only a few (one or two feedings) per week. They are a great source of extra protien!

-----

As for not eating, he might just be getting used to his new home. This is not uncommon. Just keep offering him food, and removing it if he does not eat. Eventually he will get hungry and eat. ;)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 
bettabreederla

okay thanks guys i knew a betta would ignore food until he felt like he was in HIS territory. i would like to repeat however it has been a week, at what point should i worry? when he becomes lethargic?

Tags
crowntail, feeding, problem