Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #1 
Katy

Am I supposed to amputate this??

This seems an insane question even as I ask it. But I have a HM male (for several months) with a very broken dorsal fin. He was like that in the LPS, which is one of the reasons I bought him. It is truly broken at the base. But he seems to manage just fine in his divided 10g (no other inhabitants to bother him).

But recently a vet student friend of mine mentioned that some would consider amputating the fin... Not particularly excited about doing that! And granted, while I trust her opinion she's never layed eyes on my fish.

Anyone on here know anything about this? Am I selfishly keeping him handicapped? Again, he really seems to maneuver just fine...

Please help. I do know how to amputate. And I would be able to sedate him. But I really don't want to if it's unnecessary- the procedure is risky, and sets him up for infection after...
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 
Laki

Who would be doing the amputation?? o.O If it doesn't seem to be bothering him really I wouldn't go around risking things like that. But I'm no expert and I haven't seen your fish.
One thing I noticed with vet assistant students is they believe EVERYBODY should take their pets (big or small) to the vet at the smallest thing. I agree more of a proactive lifestyle then reactive and therefore we use holistic substitutes before rushing off to the vet for minor things.

So it's your call. If you have pics and a video (more importantly) to let others see here and help you gauge an opinion :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #3 
Katy

If anyone did it, it would be me- no one else is touching my fish lol! I personally find that most vets don't know alot about fish- not their fault.

I will wait to see if others have a different opinion, but right now I am really leaning towards leaving him alone- He seems perfectly happy as is.

I tried to take a picture but he moves too fast- so clearly he can move about just fine lol!
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #4 
xjenuhfur

Goblin had part of his fin where it was clearly pinched or something happened to him when I got him. He seemed fine with it, was an active little bugger and swam around like it was nobodies business.

After some tailbiting incidents, it's not there anymore.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Do you have a picture?

Personally, I would let him be. If it was a much bigger fish, then maybe but bettas are so small. If your hand slips or he wiggles at the wrong time it could be disasterous.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #6 
Silverfang

without having seen the condition of his fins, I would say leave him be. Amputation of any of a fishes fins is extremely dangerous, even for someone adept at handling bettas.

Please leave his fins be! IF you post a picture of them, we might be able to identify what's wrong and how to help treat.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #7 
Luimeril

my brother's veiltail, Wheatley, had his dorsal fin eaten to a bit this small: , by a tumor, and he gets along just fine without it.

as long as it's not bothering your boy, leave it be.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #8 
bettabreederla

i tend to agree if your fish is not suffering and is able to swim about, eat, and breathe normally.... whats the handicap really? i would think this may be about similar to a boxers fracture in a human hand (perhaps not the greatest example) .. they COULD cut your hand and rebreak the bone and set it... but does it REALLY bother you or handicap you? just to reiterate, if your fishy friend can move, breathe, eat, and dispose of his waste, sounds like a happy betta to me!
bettabreederla is offline   Reply With Quote