Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

What do you feed?

Hello everyone. I've been lurking occasionally on this forum since December, but didn't "adopt" a betta into the family until last weekend. His name is Neptune (thus the name Neptune's mom). Actually, I wasn't planning on a new addition at all. I started frequenting the forums just to look at the pictures of the beautiful bettas people have. But, when an animal chooses you... you go with it.

So, while I have been reading the forum for some time, I feel woefully unprepared for my new little guy. His tank is only 2.5 gallons (although I did buy a 10 gallon today and plan on upgrading his home within the next few days). He doesn't have a heater (I decided to wait until I upgraded him to worry about the heater). I don't have a filter (again, waiting until the upgrade). He does have a nice real plant, and a soft silk plant to hide in, along with a rock cave he never seems to go into.

He is a very active little guy, and he likes to attack his reflection in the glass (should I be worried about that?).

So, to my main question, what do you feed your bettas? I've been feeding TopFin Color Enhancing pellets. I've read people talk about mixing in treats, how often do you do that? What do you give as treats?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #2 
Mo

I usually give a staple diet of pellets, along with x2 weekly treats of live foods/frozen foods such as black worms, bloodworms, mosquito larvae, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #3 
wystearya

I feed Omega One Betta Buffet pellets as my Betta's main diet. Two times a week he will get a meal that is frozen (well thawed) bloodworm. I tried offering him thawed brine shrimp, but he doesn't like them! So, for now it is just the pellets and occasional bloodworm. I plan to check my local stores to see what else they have, just for variety. But I think this is a good start.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #4 
Bethydan

I've used Hikari Bio-Gold pellets with success. I recently switched to New Life Spectrum pellets and the guys seem to really dig it. I give them the pellets daily and blood worms or shrimp around once a week. One day during the week they fast, and I don't feed them at all. Mainly cause I'm lazy.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #5 
Micho

I feed my guys the Nutrafin brand, not the best brand but the protein is quite good, I'm actually powering through the flakes and pellets so I can get some quality fish food, like NLS, or Omega One.

I give my fish frozen bloodworms once a week as a treat.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

I use Omega One Betta Buffet pellets as my staple. A lot of people use the frozen bloodworms as a treat but all of my fish enjoy frozen brine shrimp and one of my bettas gets a freeze-dried bloodworm (just one) every now and again. I will be trying other treats soon.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I feed a variety of pellets, with once or twice a week a feast of bloodworms/brineshrimp. They love the frozen foods. I have NLS grow formula pellets (50% protein), omega one (42%), Attisons (36%), and betta bites (I think high 40's, like 48?).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

I feed Omega one betta buffet because it has nice, high quality ingredients :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #9 
True Indigo

I feed my betta a mix of foods. Primarily New Life Spectrum Pellets (costs a lot but it's worth it and has a LOT of pellets). I also try to feed him some frozen brine shrimp once or twice a week. Hoping to go by some nearby areas to find mosquito larvae as well to add to the mix.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine a mix of pellets also. New life spectrum and Omega one Betta buffet pellets. Also brine shrimp and daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote