Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Poll: How long have you been keeping fish?

and how old are you, and how anvanced would you say you are?

I am 14, I know more than a beginner, but im no expert. I have been fish-keeping for almost.. hmm i started with a goldfish at the end of last school year, and he died in 3 days, then i got my first betta in july, so thats.. 9 months!

I have 3 tanks, and 10 fish, a snail, and 4 shrimp, all very healthy! so its not the time youve spent on it, but how much you have learned :D i am a quick learner :P plus my mom was a marine biologist.. well she studied in college and failed and became a doctor, but.. i guess that helped :P
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 
Mo

Im 12. Been keeping fish since I was 11, so probably a year and a half. I would say I'm not a beginner yet, I'm no expert either, I'm way too far from being an expert, maybe slightly past beginner?

I have 14 tanks in all. 1 12 gallon with multiple fancy guppies, 1 14 gallon with platies, 1 16 gallon with kuhlis, neons, pygmies and a sparkling gourami, 3 5 gallons with 1 male Betta in each, 6 jars with other brine Shrimp or a small scale colony of different types of snails, 1 1 gallon temporary, and a 10 gallon with a very small scale breeding colony of wild strain guppies and a male Betta

Last edited by Mo; 05-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #3 
Cattitude

Do you mean consecutive years? Because I started keeping fish as a child in elementary school, I think I was about 8 when my parents brought home guppies and we kept them in a large wine-making bottle. After a few months they bought a 15 gal tank which we had for about 10 years (then they got a 40 gal hex). It was kept as a community tank. I was the one "elected" by default to do all the water schlepping and algae scraping and sick fish diagnosing/treating. In the meantime when I was about 10 I got a 10 gal tank of my own in which I kept fancy goldfish.

But there were a couple of periods of a few years (say 10 in total) when I was a young adult and moving around a lot, that I didn't keep any fish. During the remaining years I always had at least a betta or a few goldfish.

BTW I'm 46 now. So, 46-18, I've been keeping fish for roughly 28 years. God I'm old.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #4 
Mo

Sorry, double post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #5 
Mo

Maybe 60 fish and 500-700 aquatic animals
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #6 
LinkLover

Well I'm 20, and have been keeping fish for... about a month. :P But I am learning SO much, as I am on this site every single day, reading everything I can. I have one permanent fish in his ten gallon, and have taken in a total of six (my sixth gotten today). I have rehomed two so far, need a home for the other two, and one unfortunately didn't make it through the night as his illness was severe. So I have really hit the ground running with all this, and am so glad I found a hobby that I can stick with for more than a week. I even got my fiance into fish!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #7 
Sheldon31

I'm 20 and have kept fish since I was a child. However, ive been the sole keeper of my own fish for 4 months. About 17 years combined.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #8 
Wolfboy51

Im 14 and would say im an intermediate whrn it comes to experience.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #9 
Katy

I'm 38, first betta when I was about 12, then no fish, now back to bettas for about 6 months. I have 10 tanks, 15 bettas, a cat I've had for 15 years, a kitten, and a horse. I'm just past beginner with bettas. LOL Pogthefish I studied marine bio and then became a doctor too:) But I'm a pediatrician, and kids and pets are similar patients actually; they're adorable, but they can't tell you what's wrong when they're sick:)
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #10 
lexylex0526

I'm 13 (almost 14) got my first fish two septembers ago,(goldfish) after they kept dying I a wanted to get a fish that is known for living a long life and is very pretty. So my dad surprised me with a betta! :)
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote