Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 
Cinderwolf

Cycle question

Okay so if you havent seen my 6 gal thread, here is the update. Tried to do a fishless cycle but ended up usng soapy ammonia so I washed it all out. thne decided on a fish in cycle. Been goign good, bene doign water changes regularly ( never really gets above 0.25 ppm ammonia but I change it in case) . but the past 6 days all the testing has been 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite ( where before it had about .25 ppm nitrite) Then 0 nitrate. For 6 days, i tested and decided to not do the water change to see if the levels will go up, but still today it was nothing. ( I did a water change and rescape anyways)

My question is, how is that happening? all of a sudden it stopped reading any ammonia or anything. Does this mean it is cycled? I figured 6 days with a fish in the tank woudl have at least SOME ammonia.

I have alot fo plants in there, would that be the reason?

What should I do now?
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Try this question again in a thread titled "Do I have too many plants" and watch all the plant people jump in. Hehehe...
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #3 
N03113

It's been.. a month since you set up the tank? Maybe a little less...

The more plants you have, the more the ammonia and nitrites are consumed by your plants which means less work and smaller bacteria colony for your nitrogen cycle.

If you are testing 0 for both ammonia and Nitrites.. keep an eye on the nitrates, and you're good to go.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #4 
N03113

Also, don't feel bad about the soap ammonia... I picked up a bottle of ammonia just last night and got home only to read the bottle and see Ammonia Hydroxide and surfactant.

Guess I'll keep that around to clean the windows and mirrors... but it's back to the hardware store to pick up a surfactant free ammonia.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #5 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by N03113 View Post
Also, don't feel bad about the soap ammonia... I picked up a bottle of ammonia just last night and got home only to read the bottle and see Ammonia Hydroxide and surfactant.

Guess I'll keep that around to clean the windows and mirrors... but it's back to the hardware store to pick up a surfactant free ammonia.
Yupp, my mistake was using a bottle I foudn at my house.. no ingredient list, but it didnt bubble much when I shook it. hha ha, it sure did bubble with the filter running ; )

I will test it daily for a little while and watch for nitrates. I'll keep my 6 gal log updated with params.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #6 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderwolf View Post
Yupp, my mistake was using a bottle I foudn at my house.. no ingredient list, but it didnt bubble much when I shook it. hha ha, it sure did bubble with the filter running ; )

I will test it daily for a little while and watch for nitrates. I'll keep my 6 gal log updated with params.

Just mentioning to see if anybody has heard about this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #7 
Cinderwolf

I have, but I cant order things online, and well the fish in was fine for me. perfect even. i am home ad can monitor him constantly.