Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 
TheCheese909

Best fatty noms for a Betta?

I have a male Halfmoon who I have had since November, I can't feed him much because he gets bloated very easily and has trouble swimming. The thing is, his body is rather skinny, i've been feeding him Aqueon pellets, frozen and freeze dried Bloodworms along with some Brine Shrimp frozen and freeze dried as well. I have some frozen Daphnia that I give to my boys once in awhile also..

I was just wondering if anyone out there had a preference as to what they fed their Bettas- i would just like to see if i could get his body a bit thicker so he can swim right with his massive tail.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
I have a male Halfmoon who I have had since November, I can't feed him much because he gets bloated very easily and has trouble swimming. The thing is, his body is rather skinny, i've been feeding him Aqueon pellets, frozen and freeze dried Bloodworms along with some Brine Shrimp frozen and freeze dried as well. I have some frozen Daphnia that I give to my boys once in awhile also..

I was just wondering if anyone out there had a preference as to what they fed their Bettas- i would just like to see if i could get his body a bit thicker so he can swim right with his massive tail.
I don't use this, but a lot of people would recommend Atison's betta pro for your situation. Breeders use it when they want to bulk up their bettas for breeding season.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #3 
TheCheese909

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I don't use this, but a lot of people would recommend Atison's betta pro for your situation. Breeders use it when they want to bulk up their bettas for breeding season.

Do they still sell that product? I thought they discontinued it. I do have the New Life Spectrum pellets for small fish as well, i should have mentioned. I give those to him once in awhile since i can give him a bunch and not have to worry about him getting too bloated.. I think they might have a growth one as well, but i havent come across it as of yet at my PetCo.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #4 
Micho

Yes it's discontinued. I recommend New Life Spectrum, Omega One, or Hikari Bio-Gold. I believe Hikari is the fattiest out of all of them.

If he gets bloated easily I would feed him freeze-dried food. Frozen is fine, just use it as a treat. Other than that, you could try live food like mosquito larva.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #5 
Silverfang

NLS Grow. 50% protein, min9% fat. I fed that to my tiny rescue who couldn't eat anything but that and frozen food.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #6 
TheCheese909

Okay, i'll go searching for the other NLS and I know for sure my PetCo has the Hikari foods. :) I'll keep in mind about the frozen food- I was thinking about the Glass Worms as well, but i'm not sure about keeping live ones in the house lol. I know you can buy them frozen too though, maybe i'll get some just to have around. I have 9 boys, so I do like to have lots of different foods and change it up for them from time to time.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #7 
Mo

Attisons Betta pro is definitely discontinued but atisons betta pro is available and not discontinued
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Well there's this.....

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...5169&catID=123

or theres always ebay...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #9 
TheCheese909

Okay cool, thanks finnfinn, I looked around a bit on Google to see if i could find it but I didn't have luck. I'll save that page and try it out if the NLS or Hikari doesn't work. :) thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #10 
Micho

Whoops I mean don't feed freeze-dried food! They cause bloating quite easily.

Typo. ): And it won't let me edit.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote