Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #1 
Animal

Help! Chibi is sick!

I think he has ick. He's got the classic white spots on him, but his fins look like he's got fin rot too. My friend said he'll be okay to wait until we go to the fish store together tomorrow.

He's in a 2 gallon unheated tank, which is what my friend said was the problem. Too cold in the tank. He seemed perfectly fine until yesterday. He's by himself in there, so luckily I don't have to worry about any other animals getting sick.

What can I do in the mean time? My friend said his fins are frayed because he's rubbing against the plants/substrate because he's itchy. Does that sound right? I hope he doesn't have both ick and fin rot. He's my first fish ever, and I feel like such a bad mom!!

Should I change his water? I am probably going to go buy a heater today, but I want to get a bigger tank anyways... My friend said changing the water and tank right now would add more unneeded stress to him and to wait until he gets better. But I feel like the water should be changed?

Thanks! Sorry for the panic. I've read up on ick this morning and I'm finding a lot of different things to do, and I'm not sure which is right.
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

A water change won't hurt him. In a 2 gal you should be doing at least 2 a week. 1 50% and 1 100%.

Take out all of his plants and substrate and rinse them in hot water. Let them sit out and dry while you're treating him for ick, since it's a parasite and will hide out in the substrate until it is free swimming (Which is when it can infect).

When you change his water make sure you wipe everything down (Tank included) to minimize any ick left in the tank.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #3 
Animal

Thanks! Would buying a larger tank and putting him in there stress him out too much? I can do that today and get the water heated up.
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

A 2 gallon is just fine if that's what you're wanting. A bigger tank would hurt either, but keep him in something smaller while he's sick. It's easier to keep the water cleaner with 100% changes on a smaller tank.

Once he's healthy, by all means get him a larger tank if you want to. He might be stressed at first, but he should get over that quite quickly if you've got good medium and top cover with decorations.

He might like a 5 gallon tank if you're willing to get him one.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote