Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #1 
Vaughan06

It finally happened/Betta made it through divider

I bought two new Bettas yesterday, and once I got them home I set them up in a divided tank until I fix up their bigger aquariums.

Well, I woke up this morning to find them both on the same side of the tank. Luckily, I don't see any bad injuries. I see a piece of fin laying at the bottom of the tank, and one of them (a pretty red color with white tipped fins) is missing a good portion of his white tips.

I have some Aquatic salt. That is it. What else should I buy to help them out? Im on a military base with a small surrounding town. We have a Walmart and a small aquatics store. Anything I can find there? Also, will their fins grow back?
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #2 
laoshun

with good water quality the fins should heal in time.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoshun View Post
with good water quality the fins should heal in time.

The water is hard here, unfortunately.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #4 
Luimeril

just keep the water clean. :B fins grow back on their own, but there are a few things you could do to help them out. :V

Indian Almond Leaves help scales and fins grow back a little better. if you can't get them, naturally fallen and dried, chemical-free oak leaves, or decaf green teabags do about the same things.

also, foods high in protein help out, too. frozen blood worms are very high in proteins, but most good pellets do just fine. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #5 
laoshun

well since u have aquarium salt you could always just do a AQ salt treatment and quaratine the fish if you want. If not then just let them live normally under good conditions that you have given them. Lower stress etc
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #6 
Luimeril

i only use AQ salt if the water wasn't the cleanest, or if there's fuzzies on the ends of the fins. otherwise, i don't treat with AQ salt. it doesn't really do much, other than kill any bacterias that might be in the water. if the water stays clean, you don't need to use it, imo
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #7 
lexylex0526

Sadly, that happened to me months ago. I didn't come home until it was to late one of them was already dead. But it is a good thing you noticed in time! I'm glad your fish have no serious injuries :) :) !! I would just make sure you keep the water really clean and there fins should grow back in time. Also to speed up fin growth a little bit, you could buy fin repair from petsmart. It works really well and its really cheap, too! Also you need to decide what your going to do, either try the divider again or put one of the fish in a new home. If your going to try the divider again your going to have to be REALLY Careful. Make sure the water is atleast a few inches below the top of the divider and that there is no room to squeeze through it by the sides; although I would recommend moving one of them to a new tank if you take the right precautions the divider should work fine.
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #8 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexylex0526 View Post
Make sure the water is atleast a few inches below the top of the divider and that there is no room to squeeze through it by the sides; although I would recommend moving one of them to a new tank if you take the right precautions the divider should work fine.

I'm sure he "hopped" the divider. This is my fault, because while I was filling it last night I said to myself, "I'm going to fill it higher than usual so they can have more room."

There is only barely half an inch of divider above the water.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #9 
lexylex0526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan06 View Post
I'm sure he "hopped" the divider. This is my fault, because while I was filling it last night I said to myself, "I'm going to fill it higher than usual so they can have more room."

There is only barely half an inch of divider above the water.
Its really not your fault, you didn't know. If I were you though I would make sure the space between the top of the divider and the water is a little more then half an inch....just to be safe :)

oh and how are your fish doing right now? :)
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #10 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexylex0526 View Post
Its really not your fault, you didn't know. If I were you though I would make sure the space between the top of the divider and the water is a little more then half an inch....just to be safe :)

oh and how are your fish doing right now? :)
They're fine. Im going to buy another heater today so I can seperate them.