Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #1 
maeve100

Unhappy Unresponsive to Medication

Hi there,

I have had my Betta for about a year now. Two weeks ago he was no longer able to swallow food. He tries and he tries, but can't keep it down. I tried the peas idea for constipation with no result. I've tried adding salt to the water, but I don't see a change. Then I tried a course of Kanaplex, no result. Now I am trying Maracyn Two, but the problem still remains. I've offered him a variety of pellets and a frozen worm treat the fish store lady suggested, but he can't eat. He is still active, though progressively slowing down. I ended up bringing him into the local fish store and was told he looks like he has Septicemia and eye caps/popeye - and that what I was treating him with should fix it.

This past day I tried just soaking the pellets to soften them up, and he was able to keep one down, but no more.

Is there something else I can try? I've run out of ideas.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but not right now because of the Maracyn Two
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1g change twice a week, full tank once a month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1g
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? NovaAqua Plus Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I brought the water to a seperate Petco store, and they said it was fine. They didn't give me the numbers though.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Left eye looks larger, I was told he has red streaks in his fins, but he is white so I hardly see them at all.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Can't eat, swimming slower, resting on the ground more.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? ~2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Peas, salt, Kanaplex, Maracyn Two
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has always had rather ragged fins - but they would always grow back in, then other areas would tear, and regrow.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for a year, got him at Petco.
maeve100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

You wrote that you tried to use salt. What kind? How much? There are special instructions on that. It should be right dosage and right duration or it will not help.

Left eye looks larger it probably pop eye.

Too much medications i think you need to stop give him medications .Even though it the good medications that you are using. Also Maracyn better to combine with Maracyn 2.

For pop eye you need Epsom salt that you can buy in any pharmacy.

For 2.5 gall you need to do 1-50% and 1-100% changes a week.

If you can buy Epsom salt and we will give you instruction on that. Meanwhile you don't have it i will recommend start doing 50% water changes today and tomorrow until you can get Epsom salt.

Make sure new water approximately the same temperature that he already in.

The perfect temperature 76-82* But 82 my opinion a little bit high. But some people might not agree with me.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 
maeve100

I purchase Aquarium salt - I've not heard anything about Epsom salts. If he has a bacterial infection how can salts fix it?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

Aquarium salt and Epsom salt both have antibacterial/fungal effect.
Usually you treat symptoms/disease that is most fatal. Since you saying that he has one eye that looks larger i would think it pop eye which Epsom salt usually recommended.

It also will help if he has fin rot.

Also is he bloated? When he swim can he stay straight or he swimming on one side?And also look at him from the top and check if his scales raised. It called dropsy. You can google and see the picture.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 
maeve100

He has only recently started to swim ever so slightly off to one side. But I feel thats more from hunger than anything else. I've been watching for dropsy, no pine cone effect here. He looks like he always has, so I don't think he is bloated.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Can you post his picture? If he has pop eye like you wrote Epsom salt will be an apportion. Google pop eye and see if that what he has. Well if his eye get bigger that probably what it is.

He is sick for kind of long time too 2 weeks i think it better to really treat him . I hope he can survive.

Epsom salt you will need to pre mix it in one gallon jug. You can take a gallon from spring water or even milk. If it from milk make sure you rinse it very well with water.

Pre mix 2 tsp/gall shake it and make sure it dissolved. You will start with 2 tsp/gall for the first 2 days than you will need to increase the dose up to 3tsp/gall. You need to do 100% daily water changes.

You can put him in small container so it will be easier for you to change the water. If you can't put him in small container than lower the water in his tank,

You need to lower the water anyway since it difficult for him to swim. It will be easier for him.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well, sadly it sounds like he may be aging out and not a lot we can do or he could be getting toxic, however, you don't want to give up either(I am sure your not)-these guys can really surprise us sometimes.

I would like to expand to the already great information/help you have received from ANHEL.

Stop all medications and get him in a small bare QT container or in the 1gal with low water level, maintain the water temp in the 76-77F range and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal (not aquarium salt) and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL (1 large crushed) or dried Oak leaf (18-20 crushed) Let the tannins steep for 30min and salt dissolve....Shake well before use.....

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-this will get him acclimated to the chemistry and start the 14 day treatment course. He needs to stay in this treatment water for the duration of the treatment period.

Tomorrow start 50% water changes using this premixed treatment water daily-every 3 days make 2-50% back to back for the next 14 days.

Nutrition-if you have access to mosquito larva-offer several rinsed a couple of times a day and see if he can eat them.

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote