Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 
Katy

Sign at LPS

At my Petco there's a sign under the bettas, which I don't remember vertbatim but something like "Did you know? Bettas thrive at home in water about the size of the containers they are sold in petstores because it is close to their natural environment, the tiny mud puddles in Thailand."

Not kidding. It really says this, and is endorsed by Petco. No wonder people have such false information about them.

Not to pick on Petco- And I will say that at this particular Petco the employees (while misinformed re: bettas) have been very receptive to my gently educating them now and then.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #2 
True Indigo

I would go in that store and ask to see the manager about advertising false information. I'm glad they're receptive to you, though. I would have been offended by that sign.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Oh my god....

sorta like the "pools of water that form in the foot prints of animals
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #4 
Katy

That's a good idea True Indigo. I will do that today. I was a little offended by the sign, but mostly just irritated, as Petco is a nat'l corporation, considered by those unknowing to be experts, and is disseminating false information.

I have spoken to the employees there many times about bettas (usually in response to overhearing them give customers bad advice), and as I said, they are very receptive. They have explained to me that they receive some minor training in betta care from the store, basically training put together by Petco. And they are just advising as they were taught, unaware that they are wrong. So I cannot ever blame petstore workers really. The national corps need to update/improve their training with accurate information, and focus less on making a buck.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #5 
True Indigo

No kidding. I'm thankful that the fish caretakers at my local PetCo are knowledgeable in their own way simply because of their experience. One employee even mentioned, "The training here sucks. They give you the basic training, but nothing else. I know all of these things not because I was trained but because of my experience. It's sickening to be honest." Glad that you've spoken up to them and informed them since many people would be nervous to tell them. The fish manager at my PetCo offers the 2.5 gallon tank as a bare minimum but tries to push for the 5 gallon, even when people ask him about the 1gal and below. Thankfully it seems successful since I see more 5gal and 2.5 gal tanks restocked than anything else below it. :)

And let me know how that goes if you go ahead and do that. I'd be thrilled to hear what they say. Just be nice about it unless they blow you off. Worse comes to worse, you can call corporate and harass them about their bull.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #6 
Cinderwolf

I always wondered why pet stores didnt push bigger tanks, since hey, more money for them. They can make a person buy a 5 buck betta tank orrr they can push them into a bigger tanka dna heater , doesnt make much sense. Oh well haha
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #7 
Sivan

Petco's care sheet also say that the ideal minimum size for a betta tank is 0.4 gallons and I am pretty sure they sell those 0.3 gallon cubes too. :/
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

You might also want to remind them that comparing the domesticated Betta splendens to the wild cousin habitat isn't a fair comparison....

The Betta we keep and what they sell in the small temporary display cup with lids are different with different needs......You won't find nor would a domesticated long fin Betta survive long in the wild cousin habitat.....so why compare.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #9 
Sly13Cat

Smile Breeding Stock?

Did you call them? What happened?

Last edited by Sly13Cat; 05-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Sly13Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #10 
Sly13Cat

Ignore this
Sly13Cat is offline   Reply With Quote