Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #11 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderwolf View Post
I always wondered why pet stores didnt push bigger tanks, since hey, more money for them. They can make a person buy a 5 buck betta tank orrr they can push them into a bigger tanka dna heater , doesnt make much sense. Oh well haha
I think they are pushing the smaller aquariums for bettas because most people view them as a cheap pet and there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding the care of bettas splendens. It's a shame really, but they might actually lose some customers by pushing bigger tanks for bettas. I agree, I would have no problem with this, but the corporation may see it as an issue.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Even those fish born or stranded in 'rain-filled footprints' or puddles eventually try and get the hell out of there and into something a little less inclined to boil, dry out or become a toxic soup.

I can't believe people believe this tripe. But then again I can't believe some people derive enjoyment from putting a fish in a container smaller than the glasses I drink out of.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #13 
Laki

Hm. The same sign was in the Walmarts here when they sold live fish. Years ago now but I cannot believe society would allow such a thing to be posted. :<
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

You'd think we'd still be in the time when we'd pit dogs against bulls with some of the stupid things we see/hear about.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #15 
Katy

I did talk to the manager yesterday, who was very apologetic and took the sign down. I gave him a few references, brought up OFL's point (above), and directed him to this forum... He can choose to educate himself and staff or not, but at least the sign is down. And at least they don't try to argue with me- they really do care I think, but just don't have the training.

If anyone on here works at a petstore, perhaps you could try to revamp the betta training for employees?
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I sure would if I worked in a LPS store
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #17 
True Indigo

Wicked happy you took the course of action you did and it sounds like they didn't know either (which, for the most part, seems to be the case).

Glad it was all well and done. Awesome job, Katy. :)
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #18 
SlabSided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
You'd think we'd still be in the time when we'd pit dogs against bulls with some of the stupid things we see/hear about.
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but sadly we are still in that time. Not bulls so much but against wild hogs in the south. And of course, still against each other.

Sorry, rant over.
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Yes and the dogs we domesticated we've trained to murder people, and murder each other- for no reason but our own enjoyment. Which is funny because I hate squishing bug (though they are not supposed to me in my house >:( ) because I feel bad xD If I ever fought a dog I'd rather be the one fighting, not my dog D: Also another reason why I see bettas as not "just fish" :3

I saw a pawn shop with two cylinders with rocks and water... one not bad looking the other - amongst the debris (NOT algae, I mean like... left forever POO debris I have never seen even in STORES!!!) a small rotting betta who still lived, and wriggled with all his effort to get up the looooooong vase to breath :(
Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #20 
BeckyFish97

Thats awful!If I saw a sign like that I would take it down and replace it with a sign stating the correct requirements
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote