Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Crowntail Finnage

I have always wondered about Crowntail Betta Fishes. They seem so wild,viscous, and yet so beautiful. Despite their crown-like finnage, I have wondered if there are other characteristics that these exotic finned fish have.
Do they have different care needs? Are they more territorial than others?
Other characteristics,other than their fins?
I have a Crowntail myself. I observe him myself everyday to make sure no sickness. But I always wonder about his fins...
What is their background? How did they get these types of fins?
Please answer. I am so curious about them even if they are not like those fancy Half-Moons and Plakats, who are so famous of their finnage.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #2 
wystearya

I don't know for sure, but I read somewhere that they bred 'combtail' fish until they got to have the longer spikes we see today. I've also read they can be more aggressive, but I don't know if that is true or not.

I am also a Crowntail fan! I think they look like a plume feather in the water. Very pretty, and they don't have the problem of 'blown' fins like the halfmoons often get.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #3 
Laki

The scrappier the tail on Ct's the less I like them! My Bowser is 2/3 crowntail and 1/3 veiltail I think so he has a sort of combtail-like caudal fin but the rest are crowntail-like. lol

So he's not as scrappy looking! lol
However, CT's are more prone to bloat and I hear their fins are sensitive to hard water (I think it's hard) which will make the tips curl. It's not hard to tell about their vivacious-ness!! lol Bowser is so lively and active and flares at pens and me and the cat. He's a different fish than my VT.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #4 
Shiverdam

My crowntail is quite feisty. He has these little bursts of energy when he pops up from his hiding spot and whizzes around his tank for a good 30 seconds then settle down again. Rinse and repeat!
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote