Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #1 
SamJustice

New betta owner needs advice.

okay. So I've wanted a betta for years and years. And I finally got one last night. He just went in his tank earlier (i set it up prior to bringing him home). And I named him cosmo. I do believe he is a royal blue veiltail. =3

So. My questions are:
I did not get him a heater last night. (Everything I had read the last couple of days said it'd be okay without one.) But after reading the care guide here, it says I need one. Would he be okay for a week without one? It's been really warm here, even at night. (here is northern kentucky, if any of you live in that area and can give better advice on that).

He is in a 2.5 gallon tank, no filter, how often do i need the change the water and how much do I need to change at a time?

Are there any fish I can put in a tank that small with him? I only want to put just one more.

What kind of plant would be best? I really want to get one and I just want some tips on what he'd like more and be the best.

=3 Any help or other advice would be greatly appreciated. =3
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #2 
Micho

Hi there! Yay for your first Betta. c:

First off a heater is needed ASAP, unless where you live is around 80F ~ 84F inside the house at all times, you won't really need one. Also remember water is cooler than the air so take off 2F ~ 4F for the temperature of the water. But I strongly suggest you get a heater, along with a thermometer. Bettas are tropical fish so they need the temperature of the water to always be 78F ~ 82F at all times, in order to thrive.

For a 2.5g, I would do two 50% every week, that's what I do with my 2.5g.

Nope no more fish can be put in there, I wouldn't suggest anything, maybe except some shrimps. If you were to have a 10g, that would open the doors for some fish friends.

I have some Crypts and Marimo Moss Balls in my 2.5g, any low light plant would do, Java Fern, any type of moss, etc.

Did you get a lid with the tank? Bettas can jump, so better get a lid if you don't want yours to jump out.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #3 
lelei

Welcome, New Betta Mommy, from one to another, I was in the same perdicament, however I took some time before I got my "Sammy" his heater, because I wanted to do a lot of research before I got one, so a few weeks would be fine, I live in New England, and our temp was low, and I didn't even have a themometer to see what the temp was, now with his "Tetra2-10" up to a 10 gal tank, and ours is only a 3 Gal it works quite nice, I also opted for Silk plants, or very soft plastic, colorful to add nice touch to aquarium decor. and as far as water changes, I have read so many diff. variantions,,I went on vaca and when I got back I set up sammy's tank, before we left, and I was preoccupied with so many other things, I had no time to change water, last night I did a 50% water change, and he is fine, also 1 more thing, If you have an "aeration stone" it will oxygenate the water, rather then have standing water which gets slimy and nassty after a few days, other than that just do what you can, your betta baby will be ok, Please keep us posted, btw..the Name you chose is soo cool:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #4 
Laki

Advice given above was good for a beginner :) However, in my experience an air stone in a small tank (up to 2.5g) only stressed out the fish. My old fish Lakitu was a tail-biter because of it, but it took me a while to find the cause! Betta's breathe air at the surface of the water and prefer the surface of the water to be still actually. You can prevent the "slime" by doing daily surface disruptions with a little cup or paper towel.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 
SamJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Hi there! Yay for your first Betta. c:

First off a heater is needed ASAP, unless where you live is around 80F ~ 84F inside the house at all times, you won't really need one. Also remember water is cooler than the air so take off 2F ~ 4F for the temperature of the water. But I strongly suggest you get a heater, along with a thermometer. Bettas are tropical fish so they need the temperature of the water to always be 78F ~ 82F at all times, in order to thrive.

For a 2.5g, I would do two 50% every week, that's what I do with my 2.5g.

Nope no more fish can be put in there, I wouldn't suggest anything, maybe except some shrimps. If you were to have a 10g, that would open the doors for some fish friends.

I have some Crypts and Marimo Moss Balls in my 2.5g, any low light plant would do, Java Fern, any type of moss, etc.

Did you get a lid with the tank? Bettas can jump, so better get a lid if you don't want yours to jump out.
Alright. No fishy friends. Shucks. XD
yes for lid. has an LED light, it has multiple light colors (bright, blue, dim) the bright is still a bit dim, but much brighter than the dim. lol
Howabout snails?
half 2 times a weeks. I can manage that. =3
Will get a heater tonight. It's been up in the mid-80s all week.
I'll poke around in the plants section at jack's aquarium and pets, and petsmart, and petco. =3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Welcome, New Betta Mommy, from one to another, I was in the same perdicament, however I took some time before I got my "Sammy" his heater, because I wanted to do a lot of research before I got one, so a few weeks would be fine, I live in New England, and our temp was low, and I didn't even have a themometer to see what the temp was, now with his "Tetra2-10" up to a 10 gal tank, and ours is only a 3 Gal it works quite nice, I also opted for Silk plants, or very soft plastic, colorful to add nice touch to aquarium decor. and as far as water changes, I have read so many diff. variantions,,I went on vaca and when I got back I set up sammy's tank, before we left, and I was preoccupied with so many other things, I had no time to change water, last night I did a 50% water change, and he is fine, also 1 more thing, If you have an "aeration stone" it will oxygenate the water, rather then have standing water which gets slimy and nassty after a few days, other than that just do what you can, your betta baby will be ok, Please keep us posted, btw..the Name you chose is soo cool:)
My little sister (she's 5) chose it while we were walking around walmart (sigh. horrible place for fish, but i was looking and he was so precious).
I'll look around for an aeration stone. Sounds neat and handy.
I just want a live plant. I love them (and i want my little 2.5 gal to be on par beauty wise with my mil's 55 gal tank where she has all her weird awkward walmart bought cannibals. They're pretty though.)
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #6 
SamJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Advice given above was good for a beginner :) However, in my experience an air stone in a small tank (up to 2.5g) only stressed out the fish. My old fish Lakitu was a tail-biter because of it, but it took me a while to find the cause! Betta's breathe air at the surface of the water and prefer the surface of the water to be still actually. You can prevent the "slime" by doing daily surface disruptions with a little cup or paper towel.
I'll try one, and if it stresses out cosmo, i'll give it to my mother-in-law.

oopps. Sorry for double posting. forgot i /just/ post. lulz.

Also. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #7 
Micho

If you really want snails you'll get them when you get plants, snails are always hitch hiking on plants, 100% no doubt.

You'll get some pond snails, they can grow quite big if you leave them alone, mine started out as little dots now they're roughly the size of my thumbnail. So don't buy an Apple/Mystery, you'll be sure to get some snails when you buy the plants.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #8 
SamJustice

lol. cool. 2 fer 1. XD
Old 05-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #9 
xjenuhfur

Ooooh get a Marimo moss ball. They are like death proof plants. I have 2 and haven't managed to kill them yet. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #10 
SamJustice

lol. i do alright with plants. XD haven't managed to kill any yet. XD