Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #1 
Catfish6

Unhappy My Betta Needs Help!

My Betta Is very Sick: He has silvery patches, not swimming, not eating. Floats from log, to leaf getting worse each day. Charlie is in a 1.7 gallon tank and has a heater. He is with us 1 year and usually ate 4 pellets, 2x a day. I use aquarium salt and have recently tried Melafix since someone suggested cotton mouth. But that's not what it is and I think it made it worse. I ran out today and bought Erythromycin. I don't know what else to do. Charlie is my only betta fish, and my 12 yr old son's pride and joy. What else could it be?? Anyone have any suggestions???
Catfish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well....we need more information and a pic.....complete this and add to your thread....the more detailed info the better.....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #3 
Catfish6

Smile

Answer:

What size is your tank? 1.7
What temperature is your tank? 77-80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes 10W Marina keeps it warm
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually 4 pellets, 2x daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 @ 50% and 1 @ 100% each week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 1/2 teaspoon aquarium salt and water conditioner (tap water)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Has 2 white oval patches in front of gils on the under side of face. not near mouth

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not swimming around, not eating, staying in corners, or resting on his betta log. Barely any air bubbles. Noticed he started this reddish purple streaks down his fins.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 weeks ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Used 1 teaspoon aquarium salt the first week with the 100% water change. Used Melafix with second week, cause someone said cotton mouth. Not it. Melafix made him worse.

Yesterday started Erythromycin, water clean and clear, but he's still not eating. When I try to drop a pellet for him, he acts like he dosen't even see it.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, once before, but that's when I started using the aquarium salt with the water conditioner and then he was fine. I continued to use and he's been great...until now.

How old is your fish (approximately)? He's been with us for 1 year, we bought him @ PetSmart for my son.

My avatar is is picture, but it loaded rotated the wrong way will try to upload another. Thank you for your reply OldFishLady!

Last edited by Catfish6; 04-11-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #4 
BeckyFish97

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish6 View Post
Answer:

What size is your tank? 1.7
What temperature is your tank? 77-80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes 10W Marina keeps it warm
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually 4 pellets, 2x daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 @ 50% and 1 @ 100% each week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 1/2 teaspoon aquarium salt and water conditioner (tap water)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Has 2 white oval patches in front of gils on the under side of face. not near mouth

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not swimming around, not eating, staying in corners, or resting on his betta log. Barely any air bubbles. Noticed he started this reddish purple streaks down his fins.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 weeks ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Used 1 teaspoon aquarium salt the first week with the 100% water change. Used Melafix with second week, cause someone said cotton mouth. Not it. Melafix made him worse.

Yesterday started Erythromycin, water clean and clear, but he's still not eating. When I try to drop a pellet for him, he acts like he dosen't even see it.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, once before, but that's when I started using the aquarium salt with the water conditioner and then he was fine. I continued to use and he's been great...until now.

How old is your fish (approximately)? He's been with us for 1 year, we bought him @ PetSmart for my son.

My avatar is is picture, but it loaded rotated the wrong way will try to upload another. Thank you for your reply OldFishLady!

It sounds like he is suffering from the so called mystery disease.
So far the thing that has worked best for others is Kanaplex, this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086 thread will tell you more, I believe you can order kanaplex on ebay. Hope your betta feels betta soon
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #5 
Catfish6

Charlie's Pic

Can u see photo? Reddish purple into the fins from the body and whitish ovals on face.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #6 
Raspberry Betta

Please read my post, I think something is wrong with my betta..
Raspberry Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #7 
BeckyFish97

Ok so I read your post, it looks a little like velvet I think?
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

he looks to be changing color to me

but the fact that he isn't swimming often and isn't opening up his fins alarms me.
has he built any bubble nests?
Do you still have the cup he was purchased in? I'd try to float him in his cup for a few days and see if he perks up.
Is the heater automatic and always plugged in? How old is the heater? Was there EVER any fish in the aquarium?
Do you "wash" or "rinse" the decor? How?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #9 
Catfish6

@ FishyFishy89: No bubble nests. When I do 100% water changes everything gets cleaned! I usually boil water, drop in the small decor and cool. Heater works great, no problems there. I always check that.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #10 
Catfish6

This is my Charlie! Today a little better. Ate a bit of boiled/cooled pea and 1 pellet. But can I add BettaFix to his Erythromycin? or should I add 1 teaspoon to the Erythromycin. Still don't know what I'm treating but he seems to be improving with API Erythro.
Attached Images