Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 
Alienchick017

Dropsy :(

About 4 days ago both my boys started acting sick. They wouldn't eat and hardly swam around at all but didn't have any actual physical symptoms that I could see so I moved them both to half gallon QT bowls to watch them and do 100% daily water changes instead of every other day like I normally do. In no time Valentine was better but Romeo was still very lethargic and wouldn't eat but still no other symptoms so I didn't know if I should treat with AQ salt or Epsom and just continued with clean warm water(80*). Today I woke up and he is barely moving at all and staying up at the top with his nose at the water line, he is extremely bloated and has raised scales like a pine cone.. yesterday he was neither bloated or had pine conning. I am about to do a water change and add Epsom 2 tsp to a gal but I'm worried that its to late and he will die because of me not seeing any obvious symptoms :(
Does it normally happen this way? And is dropsy or whatever caused it normally contagious?
Alienchick017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Dropsy can be contagious. But TBH that sounds exactly how my issues with it have been. I have a male right now that has it. Doubt he'll make it. One of my female guppies as well, although, I think something happened to her internally (she's bloated to the point she's bleeding internally, seems to happen to this line, I'm getting rid of them soon).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 
Alienchick017

The Epsom salt didn't do any good.. Romeo passed away last night.. I've never had a fish to get dropsy but its kinda scary how fast he passed after 1st seeing the obvious signs. I just wish I would have known how to treat him when he started being lethargic and stopped eating :(
My heart is broken and I'm worried for my other fish(especially since I have fry). If I boil the net and the QT bowl that he was in will it be safe to continue using?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I use bleach for every container that has been infected. Can't be too careful.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #5 
Alienchick017

That wouldn't work for the net though would it? I wish I could just throw it out and buy a new one but I don't know how long it will be before I can go to a pet store or wal-mart and I'm sure I will need one soon.. I came so close to buying an extra last time I was at the pet store I could kick myself for not getting one now.