Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 
arin

Unhappy Help!!!Razzy is not doing well

I got Razzy last Sunday for my Daughter as she really wanted a red Betta.
When i got him home i noticed that he had fin rot on the tip of his tail fin. I started him on 1 teaspoon of AQ salt and it is clearing up nicely. but Today i noticed that he is hiding behind his silk plant by the heater and only comming out when coached. he hasn't been very active but he would always come out when you went up to the tank until today. he is still eating but not much at all. actually the third day we had him he even made a bubble nest. but now as i said he doesn't have much interest in anything. Please help we all love him very much and don't want to lose him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75-77
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Max Betta Flakes
Nutrafin freeze dryed red grubs
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 75% 1 day and 100% next day as i an treating him for a mild case of fin rot with AQ salt
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin betta conditioner....AQ salt right now....a small piece of almond leaf

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I'm assuming fine since I am changing the water every day.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
not sure i got him a week ago and realized when i took him home that he had some fin rot so i have been treating him for that. since I had him it has not changed except his fins are looking better
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Well when i got him home and in his tank he would always come up to the tank when you went up to it and he was eating fine now he is staying by the heater and not comming out unless coached out and he is s.till eating but only a very little.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? i noticed that he had fin rot the day i brought him home but noticed the new symptoms today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I have been treating him with AQ salt 1 teaspoon per gallon since last sunday for fin rot
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Very young

arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #2 
Bethydan

If it were my fish, I'd start by adding a filter and air stone. Walmart has cheap $10 ones that will work fine for a small tank. Also, I'm not sure about the water changes. Is anyone else thinking that they should be cut back on, even with the fin rot? My QT is 1.5 gallon, and when I'm treating and medicating, I change about 25 to 50% of the water daily depending on the severity of the infection. I know that large water changes frequently can create stress. We need other opinions, though.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #3 
arin

The tank had a filter but he is small and it would just push him right to the bottom that is why i took it out....i do had some small air stones that i could hook up which i will do....the reason so much water changes is because stickey said to do 100% water changes everyday for 10 days but i was thining like you and didn't want to really stress him out by doing 100% everyday. but up until today he was inproving.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #4 
arin

Well after doing some research on here and other sites I think Razzy might be in the begining stages of Dropsy
Old 05-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 
arin

His belly is alittle bit bloted and is gray...his eyes are not swollen and he is not pineconed. I put him in a gallon of water with EP salt with his conditioner and his heater. Poor little guy i hope that i am wrong.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

I would upgrade his tank to AT LEAST 2.5 gallons. Maybe the Betta Bow if you want a kit. And if you think it Is DROPSY, symptoms are:
. Raised-Up scales ( Like a pinecone )
. Bloat
. Lethargy
. Etc.
I hope he feels better and good luck to you!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #7 
arin

Thanks oh well i have him in the gallon one right now just to treat him and the 1.5 i had my other Betta in it for about a month but he has been upgraded to a 5 gallon and i was planning on getting the same on for Razzy once he was better. I was just reading on another site that freeze dried food expands could this possibley be the reason he is bloted and has a grey belly? I really hope so. Im going to try and fast him for a day or two and see if that helps. oh and think i will be throwing the freeze dried food out and go back to the frozen shrimp and get some peltes.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #8 
arin

Well have been doing EP Salt on Razzy for 2 days now and he is not getting any better....he still hasn't pooped yet either....i got some pellets at the pet store today and he won't eat I tried everything that i have and nothing....he doesn't seem to be as bloted but all he wants to do is hide and rest. If any one has any ideas as to what may be wrong with him please let me know. thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Flakes and freeze dried blood worms can cause bloating. Blood worms should only be used as a treat - maybe once a week. Frozen ones are supposedly better. If youuse freeze dried, soak it in water first so that it will expand before the betta eats it.

I would keep him in epsom salt but up the dosage. he is in 1 teaspoon per gallon now, right? At the next water change - do 2 teaspoons per gallon with daily 100% water changes for as long as you keep up the salt reatment. Unlike AQ salt which can be harmful after 10 or so days, epsom can be used for as long as needed.

also bettas do not need airstones. They breath air from the surface via their laberynth organ. For a 5 gallon a filter is good if you want to cycle the tank but you need the API master test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels. If you don't want to deal with the nitrogen cycle, don't use a filter and do 100% and a 50% water change every week. I use a gravel sipon on my unfiltered 5 gallon - makes things much easier. If you do want a filter please read up on the nitrogen cycle if you don't already know about it.

oooh, if you can get a clear pic of him that may help

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-07-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

Don't upgrade his tank until you know he is better. And like Tikibirds wrote keep him on epsom salt and do 2 teaspoons pre gall and don't worry it can be used long term (longer than 3 weeks).

Also gray, bloated belly can be also internal pirisites. Do not share anything between him and another fish. It is contagious.

If he will poop or if you saw his poo before do you remember if it was white or clear stringy like? Or it was normal brawn, oval shape ?

EDIT:
If he is just constipated frozen daphnia is good for that.

If you confirm that his poo white or clear stringy than you need to treat him with medications.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-07-2012 at 03:26 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote