Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #11 
arin

Here are some pictures i hope they help...oh and i still didn't see any poop yet and i didn't notice what it was like before this happened.
Attached Images

arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #12 
lelei

Wow this is all very interesting, I have noticed (fish poo) and it's brown, and I was wondering how normal color is, and size wise, my first betta, and first fish since I was a child, (goldfish) but this is actually my daughter's fish, and I have been overseeing everything, in any case I have been reading that if a fish is constipated, a Pea can help, cooked, and mashed and given in small pieces, if the fish will eat it, it will clean him out..one pea, so not sure if you heard of that before, I would look into it, but research it, before doing it, I don't know about fish sicknesses, or the other things you mentioned, I just hope your lil fishy gets better soonBest of luck
Also, just to note, I feed "Sammy" Haikari Gold, and he loves it, I tried the Freeze dried blood worms, he avoided them, but now I know that they expand, It made me wonder why after leaving them in the water for a few minutes, the color changed, and sammy did try one, but promptly spit it out..my fishy is picky..lol
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

lelei brown poo is like it supposed to be. Just make sure you keep him in clean water and he will live long life :)

arin your fish is bloated. But it doesn’t look like it dropcy. I know that you saying that you treated him with aquarium salt. He doesn’t have fin rot. Not sure how his fins looked before.

I agree with Tikibirds keep him on Epsom salt. Do daily 100% water changes.

Yes some people saying that a pea would help and some people don’t recognize it. So I don’t know ..i just texted someone for advice about that. So let’s wait. I know frozen daphnia is also highly recommended.

It really bothers me that he is lethargic.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #14 
arin

thanks his tail fin was dark brown around the edges but they are all better now. right now I only have the 1.5 gallon half full so it is easier to do water changes should this be ok or should i put more water in? Oh another question should i keep trying to get him to eat or should i just wait another day or two and try again. hoping he comes around.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

1.5 gall halt full is fine. I just got an answer from someone that i texted. She wrote:
If there is no poo it is constipation and 10 days of pre-dissolved 3 teaspoons per gallon of epsom salt should work just fine. If it doesn't, go ahead and try the pea but no guarentees. And if it is just SBD the epsom still helps. If internal parasites, keep on epsom and use parasite medications either food or medication.

Flakes are bad for SBD and constipation

How long he don't eat?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #16 
Tikibirds

If you up the salt dosage, do it slowly to get him used to it. Every 12 or so hours add in an extra teaspoon till you get to up to 3 teaspoons per gallon.

Even if he was bloated, he would still want to eat..i think. They can go weeks without food. I had one guy not eat for like a month.

I found this on some random fish site:

Fish suffering from internal parasites can be identified by the fecal discharge, which is usually white in color and appears as long transparent trailing string. Some might even show more severe symptoms with a sunken or bloated belly and usually the fish often become lethargic with huge drop in appetite. Sometimes the most severe cases even have the poop containing tiny whitish colored worms that are still alive.

His tail is a bit clamped and to me that indicates something is wrong someplace - something a little more serious then just bloating.

Here is what this site says about Swim bladder/bloating and internal parasites:

Quote:
Swim Bladder Disease (SBD)/Bloat
•Symptoms: Betta has trouble swimming, maybe he can’t stay upright and can only swim on his side.
•Treatment: This is not a contagious or fatal illness. If it isn’t congenital (aka a condition that he/she has had since birth), then it is caused by over feeding or feeding the wrong foods. Bettas will typically recover after a day or two of Epsom Salt treatments (1-2tsp/gal) and fasting. You can help prevent a reoccurrence by switching to a better pellet food, feeding less and offering a more varied diet. To make it easier for the betta to eat and breath, you can make the water shallower. You can offer him/her frozen daphnia (sold at Petsmart) as daphnia will help him/her pass stool. DO NOT FEED THEM PEAS
Quote:
Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

Thank you i was going to write back. I didn't want to scare arin. Thank you for posting symptoms for internal parasites’. I hope he doesn't have it. It is difficult to get rid off. It doesn't look like he has internal ....unless his poop will be white, clear stringy like...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #18 
arin

Thanks so much guys this is kinda helpful right now i don't think its internal he is not darting around or rubbing on anything and he is not eating normally and he doesn't really match SBD either ugh....ok so i should up him to 3 teaspoons of EP but over time I will start that tomorrow.....thanks again it is so nice to that there are other people who actually care....if anyone thinks of anything else let me know....if he doesn't seem to be getting better by friday and if he is still with us i am probley going to try some meds to see if that helps.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #19 
Tikibirds

I would up the salt. It won't hurt him.

Try Pming either oldfishlady or sakura8..they might be able to tell you what mediation to get

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-09-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #20 
ravenwinds

I noticed that your heater is a preset one that runs at low temp...for bettas anyway! He might be lethargic if his water temp is under 76degrees. I had that heater and my betta was very lethargic. Maybe you could go out and get an adjustable heater and up his water temp to 78 to 82 degrees F.
Also, it is strongly advised not to give bettas peas as that can give them bloat!
In addition, check the sticky to be sure, but many diseases involve increasing temp above their normal 78 to 82 degrees F....I know external parasites treatment suggests temps of 85+degreesF...

As an aside, it looks like he is close to full grown as it appears that he has full fins and color...so not "very" young.

Good luck! I hope he gets better.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote