Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #1 
Irishdancer

Reoccurring SBD

I just moved a little over a week ago, and my fish Spock came down with a serious case of SBD immediately, so I'm guessing it was caused by stress. I treated with Epsom salt,fasting and increasing his tank temperature to 85 degrees. He seemed 100% better within a few days, but he's had milder, shorter cases twice since and I'm worried this is a permanent condition.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Currently 82 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not at the moment because it's 82 without the heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually once a day, but less than usual the last week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually twice a week, but I skipped the last change because I didn't want to stress him
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? De-chlorinenzer

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, I haven't unpacked the tester yet

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The first time very bloated and color faded, this time only a little bloated and color is normal
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? The first time he was very active and seemed panicked, since then he's seemed to act normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The first time was about 10 days ago, the latest episode, about 15 minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom salt, raised the temperature, fasted
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know, but I've had him about 6 months.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

SBD can have many causes, chronic SBD can be either viral or genetic, I believe.
It sounds like it may not be permanent yet though. I'd switch him to a sinking pellet, they tend to be more bloated fish friendly. Small pellets like omega one betta or new life spectrum.
Are you sure it's not just constipation? How's his pooping?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #3 
Irishdancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
SBD can have many causes, chronic SBD can be either viral or genetic, I believe.
It sounds like it may not be permanent yet though. I'd switch him to a sinking pellet, they tend to be more bloated fish friendly. Small pellets like omega one betta or new life spectrum.
Are you sure it's not just constipation? How's his pooping?

Thanks, I'll try switching to pellets.

I forgot to mention that he also is leaning to the side and floating when he's still, which is why I'm pretty sure it's SBD. That also was pretty bad the first time and less bad these other two times.

I just checked and found some poop at the bottom of his tank.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It might be chronic. Treatments are probably easing off the symptoms.
Can't really help much except repeat treatment every time it gets bad again. As long as overall he's acting fine, he should be alright.

edit: oh, I remember someone mentioning a fish like that, they found him a shallower tank. Maybe find something bigger and drop the water level? The fish felt more comfortable, since it was easier for him to patrol his whole territory (the bottom included).
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote