Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 
Sunshine02
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
White Spot on Female Beta

Hello. This is my first post here, but, I did not know where else to turn about my sick Betta.

On my Betta, there seems to be something white covering up its anus and because of this, my Betta cannot go to the bathroom. The last time it went, its fecal matter was brown and white, but there was more of a white coloring than a brown coloring. I do not remember how long it was ago, but I think it was 1-2 weeks ago. Before, after reading some posts on this website, I was feeding it way too many dried blood worms in a day and I think my Betta might be bloated.

Here are the answered questions below:

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon, I think. If not, I do not know.
What temperature is your tank? I do not know.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? I do not know. Is your tank heated? It is heated by a lamp I put under my Beta's fish bowl, but, I do not own an actual tank heater.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your beta fish? I was feeding it a lot of big dried blood warms in the past, but have switched to Hikari pellets recently. How often do you feed your beta fish? I have been fasting my fish, but, when I feed my beta now, I give her 1-2 pellets a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 2-3 days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% every time.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, I have not had my water tested.
Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? My beta's stomach is bigger and there is something white that is covering its anus and I think it is preventing her from going to the bathroom.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She is aware of the problem and she is not moving as fast anymore when I move my fingers by her bowl. I do not know if the effects of this are caused by not feeding her enough daily though.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I do not remember, but I have started noticing symptoms when I fed her some news bigger dried blood worms and something white started form on her anus.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have been trying to fast her for two days and fed her pellets during the end of the second day. In the past, I have fasted her and she went to the bathroom, but, that was the last time I saw her go. It has been a few weeks since she has went to the bathroom again.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I do not know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 1-2 months old, I think. I got her when she was small/medium sized.
Thank you so much for all of your help!
Sunshine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
That's normal. It's called an ovipositor. It's where eggs are released during spawning.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 
Sunshine02
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
That's normal. It's called an ovipositor. It's where eggs are released during spawning.
Thank you so much for all of your help! I feel really relieved now.

Do you know why my beta's ovipositor is showing when she is not pregnant?

Also, do you know why my beta has not been able to go to the bathroom after a few weeks? I am worried that I might bloat her if I keep feeding her pellets. :(
Sunshine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #4 
MollyJean
Member
 
MollyJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Tennessee
There is a good chance she is going to the bathroom when you aren't looking or aren't around. If you are really worried, you can move her into a tank with nothing on the bottom, so you can watch for poop more easily. Odds are she IS pooping as a few weeks is way too long for a fish to go without.

As for why it is showing, most have theirs showing all the time once they reach maturity. Though it might be easier or harder to see on some fish. Such as light colored or white girls.

Also, you want to get a heater and a thermometer asap. A lamp is a very unreliable heater and you could accidentally burn your fish. Plus, fish sleep too, so it should be turned off at some point. The uneven heating might be why she is acting strange. It's nearly impossible to heat a 1 gallon tank properly, so look for a 2.5 or larger tank for her and a heater to go in it. A lot of cover for her to hide in and regular water changes and she should perk right up.

Last edited by MollyJean; 05-05-2012 at 07:43 PM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #5 
xjenuhfur
Member
 
xjenuhfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SoFla
+1 to what's above but also you are using water conditioner, correct?
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #6 
Sunshine02
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
There is a good chance she is going to the bathroom when you aren't looking or aren't around. If you are really worried, you can move her into a tank with nothing on the bottom, so you can watch for poop more easily. Odds are she IS pooping as a few weeks is way too long for a fish to go without.

As for why it is showing, most have theirs showing all the time once they reach maturity. Though it might be easier or harder to see on some fish. Such as light colored or white girls.

Also, you want to get a heater and a thermometer asap. A lamp is a very unreliable heater and you could accidentally burn your fish. Plus, fish sleep too, so it should be turned off at some point. The uneven heating might be why she is acting strange. It's nearly impossible to heat a 1 gallon tank properly, so look for a 2.5 or larger tank for her and a heater to go in it. A lot of cover for her to hide in and regular water changes and she should perk right up.
Okay, I will be more observant about her fecal matter in the future.

Thank you for explaining that to me!

Thank you for telling abut the lamp. I just turned the lamp off. I have a thermostat, but it is really big for the fish tank, so I have not put it in yet. I was thinking of getting her a bigger glass bowl, but should I get a tank with a filter instead? I also had bigger decorations in my beta's tank earlier on, but things started growing on both of them, so I took them out. There is a new decoration in the tank now, but, it only grows green stuff on it now. Do you know how to clean the decorations properly so things will not start growing on them again?

I will look into getting a bigger tank though. I do not know how long it will be until I will be able to get one, but I will try to buy it and a heater as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
+1 to what's above but also you are using water conditioner, correct?
No, I am not using water conditioner. I do not know what that is.
Sunshine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #7 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Tap water contains chemicals that kill bacteria. Unfortunately they also kill fish. You need water conditioner to neutralize the chemicals.

Ovipostiors are always visible. However, during spawning they become even more visible since the eggs are being released. Bettas do not get pregnant. They bubble nesting egg layers. Your female sounds ready to breed. She will continue to produce eggs. Often times this problem is easily solved when the female drops her eggs. You may find little white balls on the bottom one day. These are eggs. She will usually eat them. Some females tend the eggs in a nest before eating them.

You need a tank, at least 2.5 gallons, with a small heater to keep the water at a constant 80F or so and weekly water changes.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 05-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #8 
MollyJean
Member
 
MollyJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Conditioner is also called chlorinizer or de-chlorinizer. If you live in the states it's needed to neutralize the harmful things in the water.

Tank or Bowl.. well with a tank you can properly attach a heater and a filter, where as with a bowl it's much harder to place a heater, plus the view is kind of warped with a bowl. Personally, I would go with a tank. If a tank is only 3 gallons, that's a nice house for a betta! But 5 gallons is a mansion!

And to clean the decorations in your tank, just hot water and a clean cloth. You don't want to put any chemicals in the water, so no soap, but a little vinegar is fine. The green stuff will grow back over time. Just take the decorations out and clean them once in a while.

Last edited by MollyJean; 05-05-2012 at 09:16 PM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #9 
Sunshine02
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Tap water contains chemicals that kill bacteria. Unfortunately they also kill fish. You need water conditioner to neutralize the chemicals.

Ovipostiors are always visible. However, during spawning they become even more visible since the eggs are being released. Bettas do not get pregnant. They bubble nesting egg layers. Your female sounds ready to breed. She will continue to produce eggs. Often times this problem is easily solved when the female drops her eggs. You may find little white balls on the bottom one day. These are eggs. She will usually eat them. Some females tend the eggs in a nest before eating them.

You need a tank, at least 2.5 gallons, with a small heater to keep the water at a constant 80F or so and weekly water changes.
Would I still need water conditioner if I left the tap water out for 24 hours? A Petco employee told me that would be okay, but, now I am not sure.

Okay, thank you for telling me!

I will look into getting a heater and a bigger tank for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Conditioner is also called chlorinizer or de-chlorinizer. If you live in the states it's needed to neutralize the harmful things in the water.

Tank or Bowl.. well with a tank you can properly attach a heater and a filter, where as with a bowl it's much harder to place a heater, plus the view is kind of warped with a bowl. Personally, I would go with a tank. If a tank is only 3 gallons, that's a nice house for a betta! But 5 gallons is a mansion!

And to clean the decorations in your tank, just hot water and a clean cloth. You don't want to put any chemicals in the water, so no soap, but a little vinegar is fine. The green stuff will grow back over time. Just take the decorations out and clean them once in a while.
Okay, I will look into getting some as well. But if I add it in the water, will it affect how much I will have to change my beta's water each week?

Okay, I shall get a tank.

I was cleaning the decorations that way before minus the cloth, but thank you for telling me how to clean the decorations properly.


Also, do any of you know how many pellets I should feed my female beta a day? I have been giving her two a day now and I might fast her tonight, but, I do not know if two pellets a day is enough. I also do not know how much to feed her a week.
Sunshine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
It's called dechlorinator.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White spot Ruri Lesavka Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 07-13-2011 09:01 PM
What is this white spot? fightergirl2710 Betta Fish Care 16 06-14-2011 01:39 PM
Help!!! Female beta has white in her gill area!!!! atfoust Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 2 12-10-2008 08:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.