Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #1 
SeniorD

Green stuff...

Okay, so here is the deal. Apparently when my fish were in some one else' care the filter burst into the tank and that is how I lost some of my fish. Well I have cleaned it maybe about 3 or 4 times since then. Well I never had this problem before the "filter" burst but now I get this green algae looking stuff and can't get it to stop. I thought first it was the left over carbon or whatever. But I don't see how it keeps coming back. Then i thought it was me putting in too much aquarium salt but I stopped putting it in for a while and it is still back. Any ideas?
SeniorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #2 
Mo

I would expect it to be algae

What is your lighting
What is your stocking
How long is your light on
Did the filter stop running for 1 day+
How big is your tank
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #3 
lvandert

I've heard mario moss balls keep the algae down, and seen it with my own eyes. They out-compete other species of of algae. Although if you have a big tank it might take a few
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #4 
SeniorD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
I would expect it to be algae

What is your lighting :Pretty sure it's an LED light. I got it off of a 25 gallon tank.
What is your stocking :I don't really know what that means.
How long is your light on : It's on from 10 am to 10 pm most of the time. Some times not often, I'm not home to turn it on.
Did the filter stop running for 1 day+ : I couldn't tell you. They were in the care of someone else.
How big is your tank : It's a 10g
Would you be able to tell me what I'm doing to cause this? Also I read some where just a second ago that leaving UN-eaten food causes toxic water. Would that be the cause?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #5 
Mo

Uneaten food in elevated amounts will surely raise eye ammonia level which in turn negatively effects the fish, algae will also thrive off of this. But mostly of of the excess amount of light. Usually you should ideally keep your light on for 8 hours a day unless you have a planted tank or else algae will thrive. I would recommend getting a timer
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #6 
EvilVOG

also depends what kind of algae. I have a constant war going with BGA (blue- green algae) that's actually a bacteria and not an algae at all.

stocking means how many of what types of fish do you have in the tank?

I kind of suspect you have BGA if it keeps coming back on you. I wish i knew what to tell you to stop it but i have been unable to stop my own bloom of it, and just ended up cleaning my tanks more often than i would otherwise.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #7 
SeniorD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
also depends what kind of algae. I have a constant war going with BGA (blue- green algae) that's actually a bacteria and not an algae at all.

stocking means how many of what types of fish do you have in the tank?

I kind of suspect you have BGA if it keeps coming back on you. I wish i knew what to tell you to stop it but i have been unable to stop my own bloom of it, and just ended up cleaning my tanks more often than i would otherwise.
I have 7 female betta and one male also my placasumus and I know I didn't spell that right...But that's all I have. But when I had my different 7 females and male in there I never had that problem. So what do you do in your tank that has that BGA algae you are talking about? Like do you use aquarium salt as well? Do you specifically measure?