Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What kind of Betta do you want?
Solid 5 10.87%
Bi-Color 7 15.22%
Cambodian 5 10.87%
Butterfly 17 36.96%
Marble 7 15.22%
Piebald 6 13.04%
Mask 3 6.52%
Dragon 14 30.43%
Multicolor 8 17.39%
----------------------------------------------- 1 2.17%
Crowntail 10 21.74%
Halfmoon 20 43.48%
Other 17 36.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #21 
Tikibirds

I like Halfmoons/deltas and VT's the most.

As for colors, it varies. I like the more bold/crazy colors. Not a fan of pastels or red/blue as they are so common, especially in VT's. I also don't care much for the koi coloring that most people seem to love.

I would love to see green bettas - real green - like grass colored. I dont think that exists though
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #22 
MrVampire181

To your questions on which fish to pair up, I'd suggest doing genetic research before jumping into anything. Or else you end up with a ton of mutt fish nobody wants since they can pick them up at PetCo. Genetics is much more complicated than A+B=C.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #23 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
To your questions on which fish to pair up, I'd suggest doing genetic research before jumping into anything. Or else you end up with a ton of mutt fish nobody wants since they can pick them up at PetCo. Genetics is much more complicated than A+B=C.
That's why I asked this poster's age, doesn't sound like she knows what she'd get so why take orders for what people want?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #24 
MrVampire181

Pre-orders/asking people what to breed is crazy. Breed fish you want. I don't care if people want long fins more than short fins. I breed HMPKs and the colors I want because I like them. If someone said I should breed this or that strain I didn't like I would tell them "No." because I breed what I want to breed and I work hard on my lines.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #25 
True Indigo

Granted, on the other side of things. I don't think it's harmful to ask of people's opinions. It sounds like she wants to do something for the community here and is curious of what we'd like. I don't think that's anything to necessarily look down on. At the same time, however, she should trust how genetics work in all of this and breed in an intelligent way even if our recommendations aren't exact to what she ends up doing. From what little I've read about breeding bettas, it isn't just Male + Female = Perfectly Happy and Healthy Babies. They're much more to it like everyone is suggesting.

So on one point I don't think it's a bad idea to ask what we'd like or be interested in, but at the same time she should breed intelligently despite whatever we say.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #26 
Sly13Cat

Well I just did some research on Betta genetics and it's mildly complex. Such as if I bred my red crowntail with a black female (if she's fertile) I'll get a spawn of all red fry with the dormant Black gene. But the fry I get could also depend on the dormant gene of both of the parents which is why people say not to breed pet store fish.

There's a lot more to Betta genetics than I thought and now I understand a lot more than I did.

I'm a he. I'll be interested in HM Butterflies and I'm not sure about crowntails.
Sly13Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #27 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly13Cat View Post
A lot of people seem to like
Half-moon Dragons. Is this true?

How about this fish? Would you like a spawn from these fish (for example)?

Which of these females seem best for this male (top picture)?
id do the last one ince there both white
surprize30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #28 
True Indigo

Ah sorry! I couldn't tell from your name. I'll keep calling you a guy. Hahaha. My mistake.

But anyways, so a halfmoon with a double tail plakat? Might look interesting but I barely know anything about how to expect spawn so don't lean on my reply.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #29 
Sena Hansler

I chose butterfly, as here they are very rare and hard to come across. I chose "other" because I like plakats, double tails, deltas, halfmoons, veil tails and crowntails my favorites are wild color patterns, flawless red, a nice rich orange, and thanks to the only true stark yellow I ever had, El Dorado, a very nice rich yellow <3 =D

People wants diversity. Here there is crowntail, or veil tail males. Usually veils. females are almost always veils.
for the veils I like the round or spade tail shape, something even and not choppy :3

I know that in this town people lean towards the males with the biggest fin span, the larger bodied males, and colorful females. The rest are forgotten, left to rot, etc... finnage here, despite them just being veils, is important for that factor

where do you live OP? Since you have a jotted down idea, I live in Canada - isn't everything easier with two heads or more? :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #30 
Sly13Cat

I added my HM to his 5gal section thinking he's docile. Then he started flaring at the crowntail on the other side. So I wondered what would happened if I put a mirror to him. Here's what happened:

Sly13Cat is offline   Reply With Quote