Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #1 
Lenimph

My Hawke and Isabetta

This is my Hawke that I luckily got at a LFS near my friends house for only 7$ Today was the first time I got to move him into his own 5 gal that I was using as a guppy nursery. He is absolutely in love with his pirate ship.

And this is my female Isabetta that I got on petsmart since she was on sale for a dollar and I felt sorry for her... she's kinda camera shy

Last edited by Lenimph; 05-10-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Lenimph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #2 
FrostSinth

at Petsmart you can get females for 99 cents with a card, at least near me

LOVE Hawke's ship, he's very handsome! Pretty girl too
FrostSinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #3 
Lenimph

Yeah I got her for 99 cents with my card but I don't always see females at my petsmart though. I'm thinking of starting a sorority since she's in the 10 gal with just some cories but I'm worried she might be too aggressive. She get's along fine with other community fish, even guppies... but whenever I've added a male to try to get her to spawn with things just don't end well. She tore a lot of Hawke's fins off in fact... I'm worried about how she'll act around another female.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

I wouldn't suggest spawning petshop fish anyway. You don't know their genetics and they could be carrying a variety of problems.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 
Jessicatm137

Pretty fish!
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #6 
KadenJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I wouldn't suggest spawning petshop fish anyway. You don't know their genetics and they could be carrying a variety of problems.

+1

It takes extensive research, space and money to correctly breed betta fish. Don't ever just throw a male and a female in the same tank on a whim; there are immense preparations you must make. The offspring will only be as good of quality as the parents, so I do not advice breeding pet store bettas, ever.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #7 
betta lover1507

beautiful fish :)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #8 
betta lover1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenimph View Post
Yeah I got her for 99 cents with my card but I don't always see females at my petsmart though. I'm thinking of starting a sorority since she's in the 10 gal with just some cories but I'm worried she might be too aggressive. She get's along fine with other community fish, even guppies... but whenever I've added a male to try to get her to spawn with things just don't end well. She tore a lot of Hawke's fins off in fact... I'm worried about how she'll act around another female.
you can't just put them together to breed :I there's lot's of stuff to do, but if you want to breed them, am okay with that. there is LOT'S of responsibility in it, and you need to condition betta's before breeding. just ask breeder's around here (am just a rookie, beginning to breed once again)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #9 
Lenimph

I have bred fish before (Angels, Guppies, and Goldfish, relatively easy probably to betta's but still) so I know just how big of an issue fry space and can be. I wasn't going in blind per-se but I have no intention of being a professional breeder I just wanted to see if I could do it. They were both properly conditioned, the female however has always had an attitude problem but is very healthy and so is Hawke.

Seems kinda mean that a betta can't be worth reproducing just because it came from a store. Especially since there will always be reject fry... I gave them a chance and it didn't work out and that's the end of it.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #10 
KadenJames

Keep in mind, too, that bettas can have hundreds of offspring in one spawn. It's a million times better to invest in quality stock and have quality offspring to show for your efforts, rather than lower quality pet store bettas. No breeder in their right mind would purchase a pet store bred betta.

I know what you are saying, but keep in mind the thousands of pet store bettas already sitting on shelves everywhere. If you breed, you should try and contribute to the Betta splenden species instead of breeding stock with scrambled genetics and issues.

There are several breeders, even on this website, that can offer you high quality fish for relatively cheap.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote