Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #1 
Shinkutsunami

How to get rid of fungus on betta fish?

Hi guys! my dragon scale betta has a discolored white patch above his left eye and on his dorsal fin. it started around 2 3 months ago and I didn't think anything of it at first but now it's getting worse! it looks swollen now and I went to petsmart to have them tell me what they thought it was and they just gave me some bettafix. I put it in the tank and it didn't do anything so I did a full water change and put some sea salt in his tank because I didn't have any aquarium salt at the moment. it's been about 3 days since I put the salt in and I see no difference in his fungus or whatever is on his head. what should I do? I don't want him to die and i've had him for around 6 months now and I was planning on getting him a bigger tank soon. I need like a professional opinion here on what I should do. heres a pic. let me know what you think I should do guys! thanks.
Attached Images

Shinkutsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

You should start up an AQ salt treatment for a few days and see if that helps.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #3 
Shinkutsunami

I read that non iodized sea salt is basically the same thing should I just use that? and how much would I for a 1 1/2 gal tank? I went to petco and petsmart looking for the jungle fungus eliminator but I guess it's discontinued... -_- I had him in the sea salt for 3 days and I didn't notice any difference was it just because I didn't put enough in? I put a half of a tsp in.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Uhhhh sea salt?! Never heard of using it.

I use AQUARIUM SALT. 3 teaspoons per gallon - and note: dissolve the salt first. Add one teaspoon per gallon over the day until you reach 3 teaspoons to avoid shock. You should do this for 10 days, cleaning EVERY day at least half.....and since it is fungal to avoid it spreading LOWER THE TEMPERATURE. They can survive at amazing low temperatures, so leave it at 68-75 degrees. Yes, that means NO HEATER.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 
Shinkutsunami

I read that sea salt is pretty much exactly the same as aquarium salt and that it works great as long it's it's non iodized! I would just use aquarium salt but I don't have any at the moment. so I add 1 tsp everyday until it reaches 3 over the course of 3 days? or I add 1 tsp throughout the day until it reaches 3 tsp??? and ever since I got him he's been in a non heated, non filtered 1 1/2 gallon tank so that's probably why he has got whatever is on him. D: my house is always at or around 76 degrees though and he seems to be fine with the temp. I DO plan on upgrading him to a 3 gallon filtered, heated tank I just hope he actually makes it. :O... here are some more pics just to point out how it's protruding off of his head. that's what makes me think it may not actually be fungus...???
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

hmmm that doesn't look really fungal to me... more like a wound blister (which happens, and is similar to what popeye looks like, just on the body itself)...

Are any of the scales raised? does it look fuzzy, slimy, or solid...? And how many water changes do you do a week and how much?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #7 
Shinkutsunami

Uhhh, well last month I really didn't do very many but I try to do em weekly! I was doin them daily last week cus I didn't want him to get worse. and no, his scales are not raised he doesn't really look slimy, if you're talking about the thing on his head then yes, it does look slimy. other then that though he looks normal. he even acts normal. he still eats like a pig!!! lol and if it's some sort of blister, how would I treat him for it?

Last edited by Shinkutsunami; 05-07-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Well if it looks like a "water pocket" or similar to popeye, I use epsom salt. it drains the fluids safely. plus epsom salt is very safe!!! Same amount, same time frame, and dissolve first of course.

These can happen because of an infection (Iknow little of that), bumping into something (which to you it could look like loose skin and a bubbled area on a cut we get!), or lost some scales - it acts like the body's defense but it's best to drain it.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #9 
Shinkutsunami

okay lucky me I happen to have some epsom salt in my house this very moment! does it have to be specifically for fish or just regular epsom salt? and it looks like slimy and i'm not really sure if it looks fuzzy but i'd have to say no. and it's not very transparent it's more solid looking so I really don't know what it could be especially since it's all discolored in that area. even if it's not what you're saying, it wouldn't hurt him right? :) and how do you treat him with it again? you add one tsp every how many hours? and it probably is what you're saying because he would act all sick if it were fungus right? and he acts completely normal still. but when it first started his scales in that area just looked discolored but over the course of about 3 months it looks like it does now.

Last edited by Shinkutsunami; 05-07-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

slimy may be slime coat, and should be fine, but epsom salt is good to drain fluids :) My Tina is the one still with columnaris and the mysterious orange discoloration - and she acts fine but is permanently quarantined. I've seen severe columnaris and the fish still act all happy - but yes usually something serious they tend to lose appetite, color, and/or activeness.

as long as it is plain old epsom, it should work. NOT fragrance stuff - that'll kill him. every few hours works for me.

since you noted it started a few months ago, go ahead with epsom.. if it does not go away I think it may be a tumor or lipoma/cyst......

Tags
betta, disease fungal infection, fungus, sick