Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #11 
Shinkutsunami

okay sounds good! I just did a 50% water change and added 1 tsp of epsom to his water! so do you think it may be permanent? :( I hope not and he didn't have it when I got him so it probably isn't. thanks for the help I appreciate it! :D i'm sure my betta will also. lol hope it works! i'll add another tsp in a an hour or 2 then? and I change the water at least 50 % everyday and add back the salt that I took out or do another 3 tsp or don't add any back??? oh and I have a 1 1/2 gallon tank so I should add 4 1/2 tsp?? O_O lol that sounds like alot and I just let him sit in it for 10 days straight??? sorry for so many questions I just don't want to over dose him or anything.

Last edited by Shinkutsunami; 05-07-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Shinkutsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

1 and 1/2 tank, 3 teaspoon and 1.5 teaspoon - so yes. It does sound a lot, but it's okay :)

You did dissolve it first before adding right?

Yes only add enough to replace what you took out.

Trust me I've had bettas who "never had it when I got them" and it turned out they had something genetic or chronic. BUT doesn't mean they cannot live some pretty good healthy lives
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #13 
Shinkutsunami

yeah, I dissolved it! :) and I hope it's not permanant because it's kind of ugly >.> he is a pretty good lookin betta though wouldn't you agree? x) oh and one more thing.. my epsom salt is from up&up and it says
"epsom salt magnesium USP (heptahydrate) soaking aid for minor sprains and bruises saline laxative for relief of occasional constipation"
lol will this work or?...O_o they are all the same, right??

Last edited by Shinkutsunami; 05-07-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

As long as it is 100% epsom salt also known as heptahydrate epsomite , no fragrance, it works. I use one that says "use 1 cup per ----- of water for baths"

and yes he is very good looking - Spartan was pretty too, despite the weird raised bubbly spot which was a tumor
Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #15 
Shinkutsunami

i'm pretty sure it's 100 % epsom! but i've added the 4 1/2 tsp of epsom to his 1 1/2 gallon tank and i'm kind of scared that it may kill him if I keep him in it over night because it seems like too much for him! D: are you sure about this? I don't want to kill him :((( i've read about epsom salt for fish and bettas and everything and all I get is how it's for constipation so how do you know that this even works? have you tried it??? should I just do a 100 % water change tonight because i'm really worried that if I leave him in it over night that it will be the end of him...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I've done epsom for bloat, popeye, blisters, and internal ailments other than the genetic disease my three blues endoured and of course parasites. Watch him for any dramatic behavioral changes - but yes it should be fine. I know it seems like a lot but it isn't. And it is safer than AQ salt, apparently.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #17 
Shinkutsunami

okay i'm trusting you! I just don't want to wake up to a dead fish after i've worked so hard to try and cure him. his behaviour doesn't seem much different he just seems slower like he's not doin much but i'm lookin at him now and he's swimming all over the place so he's probably fine. it's just the amount of epsom because everywhere else I read it says like 1 tsp of epsom per 1 1/2 gallon and I have 4 1/2 tsp in there!! idk just seems crazy to me. you seem confident about it though so I guess i'll leave him in it over night and see what happens. O_O if this does actually work, when would I see results?? and if I don't should I just take him out of it?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

well, 1 and a half gallon... one teaspoon PER GALLON like I said... I said to add 4 and a half total, not per gallon

Never do it for more than 10 days and I suggets using it for the full length even if it does disappear, keep it going for the full length to avoid any relapse
Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #19 
Shinkutsunami

I know! I only have 4 1/2 in there but it just seems like so much!! :O he's fine though so i'll just do a 50 % water change later and add the salt that I took out back in like you said. thanks so much for the help I hope that this works on him! :) i'll have to let you know if this works. and are you sure he's not gonna just poop his brains out and croak? lol cus other people say to add 3 tsp per gal like you do but only let him sit in it for like 20 mins
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #20 
Sena Hansler

20minutes???? never heard of that!

I've had to use epsom on so many things.

Constipation: left until they pooped their little guts out and boy, they poop!

SBD: One boy I had battling for a few months. on and off epsom because we had to break it inbetween doses since it should only be 10 days. 3 months! We were worried it was chronic - so we left him in it again and finally it cleared up with no feedings for a couple weeks D: he is the meanest healthiest booger now.

popeye and blistering areas: it seems to help sooth, avoid infections, and drain the fluids. Can be done for those water pockets (forgot the actual name for it) as you should never drain it yourself...

So if it is the last one, it should work. One teaspoon per gallon, up'd to 3 teaspoons per gallon. Hence the large number I've never had a negative problem with epsom as long as it is thoroughly dissolved beforehand. 20 minutes won't give it time to kick in - it can be 1-3 days before any signs usually - or in severe cases, 5-10 days.

Tags
betta, disease fungal infection, fungus, sick