Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatbottom View Post
She a little shy from a hm
Almost but not there yet.
She'll produce round edge babies if she breed to the male
Cause both of them have round edge
Not a member of ibc but hold to ibc stander
Easier to sell fish
She is full HM, I appreciate your opinion though, however it is just that. Your opinion. She may not have the crisp lines of a show fish but that does not make her not full HM.

I'll just add that I shoot with a very old canon camera and it does not always have the shutter speed to catch the exact moment of 180 . Anyone who has ever photographed a fish knows how hard it is to get that perfect shot.

Last edited by Bettas Rule; 05-07-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #32 
Curlyfatbottom

Not a straight edge is not a hm
Hm is classified
Straight edge like a D shape
180 spread
Four or more rays
Even fin
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #33 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Not a straight edge is not a hm
Hm is classified
Straight edge like a D shape
180 spread
Four or more rays
Even fin
That's the IBC standard but it's not the rule. There are female HM without even having a full spread that have placed and won in IBC events. I know this because I asked Sherolyn, who is a known betta breeder. She also won at the last event BOS. Males are expected to have a strong 180 spread but females are normally judged off their rays and form. Sure we have now been getting females with full spreads but they are not as common as you may think.
You can quote the IBC standard all you want, but like I said that's the ideal standard and not all fish are going to meet that standard completely, and that doesn't mean that they are not going to produce HM fry or are not considered HM.
When you breed bettas for as long as Sherolyn has, and win IBC events like she does I will give you some credit over her in this topic.

Also according to the standard all of the OHM fish and skyhawk fish are not HM. Yet they still produce HM fry.

All HM fish do not have even fins, does that make them not HM since it's written in the standard?
You can't pick and choose what rules are non negotiable and which one's are not.

You are admittedly not even a member of the IBC.

In my opinion you lack the credibility to make judgments like this. I have seen no spawns from you, nor have I ever seen or heard of you winning any events.
Anyone can google information about breeding bettas, but few can produce good fish.

Example:
My fish Blue girl. She came in third at a IBC event. She doesn't have straight edges either and yet she placed. If she is not a HM how did she place?

Name:  new fish 031.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  36.4 KB

And if she is not HM how did she create this fish?

Last edited by Bettas Rule; 05-07-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #34 
indianabetta

Wowwy i am loving his photo!!! Woh! How can i get a boy with finnage like that from you?
indianabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #35 
indianabetta

seeing him has def. confirmed my thoughts about my new black girl "Iris" and my other girls, I am falling in love with "robin" my blue girl, and I am so proud of "rain" for helping build the nest and deposite the eggs of her now free swimming spawn of over 200 :) I would love a new blue boy with a large full spread for my blue girl, and maybe crossing with Iris to get more melanos.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #36 
indianabetta

I guess its all about your own opinion, if she was "perfect" she would have strait edges, but that doesnt mean she wont make fry with strait edges. My twin sister is a sheltie breeder, and she has become very well known, her females and males can win, even with faults, its hard to get an absolutely perfect specimen. Of course perfect specimens will win it all at shows, but its rare for them to show up, honestly, and one judge may view one dog as perfect, while another sees a fault. its all about opinion, and im sure its the same with fish and showing fish.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #37 
Bettas Rule
Banned

I just found this old post of yours, seems you were giving out different and even opposite information earlier, and I think many breeders would disagree with these statements. I only found these to prove my point that you truly are not qualified to be making the judgments you are making. The OP was very concerned about your statements, and even brought it to my attention through PM. I feel it's my obligation now to show her what kind of information you have given out previously, so that she can better asses your knowledge base.

Quote:
don't be surprise that you breed hm/delta and get dt out of it....
that's how breeder correct there hm line....
to have clean edge....
or it's from a dt spawn....
More bad advice....Deformities can and often do get passed on....

Quote:
A mutation is a permanent change in the DNA sequence of a gene. Mutations in a gene's DNA sequence can alter the amino acid sequence of the protein encoded by the gene.

genetic defect - a disease or disorder that is inherited genetically
Genetic defects refer to deformities that exist at birth.
Quote:
Mutation call be pass on to the next generation.
Deformity can't.
Yes there a disability mutation.
Which people tend to call it deform.
I don't know who aquastar71 is.
But man don't be dissing on him/her.
If you don't like his fish.
Just don't buy from him.

Also you call this male a full HM that you got for your brother? The male has round edges not straight. I am confused now..why is this male with round edges still a HM to you, and the female with a full spread and round edges not?
Name:  user30864_pic20649_1324665056.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  19.3 KB
Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #38 
Curlyfatbottom

Winning an event and not hitting standard and beating a strandard fish.
Just prove that if you know the judge can get you somewhere
It's the same with akc

Breeding sibling Thai fish
Over and over
Jarring them when they are 1.5"
Faring them every day (5 min.)
Keeping them in clean water
Feeding a high diet of protien(shrimp, daphnia)
Don't mean u have skill

Your just taking credit of the original breeder

I don't show my fish for a reason
My skill are fighter
But I do produce sq fancy fish
With little amount of money
I've pick sq female hm for just 10
Sq male hm for 25
Or 30 for a pair
Not very hard to produce a sq when my lfs get fish from Thailand every month or so.
I've don't breed for the money or for a name
Just for the fun of it
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #39 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianabetta View Post
Wowwy i am loving his photo!!! Woh! How can i get a boy with finnage like that from you?
I have a couple spawns coming up from him, to improve his line I bred him to this female.

Name:  fwbettashm1332525413.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  39.1 KB

When you start getting into breeding your own fish and doing F1's you are gonna have to look at the faults and choose fish that can compensate. If your female has round edges pair her with a male with sharp edges. It's all a work in progress. Rome wasn't built overnight don't forget that.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #40 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Winning an event and not hitting standard and beating a strandard fish.
Just prove that if you know the judge can get you somewhere
It's the same with akc

Breeding sibling Thai fish
Over and over
Jarring them when they are 1.5"
Faring them every day (5 min.)
Keeping them in clean water
Feeding a high diet of protien(shrimp, daphnia)
Don't mean u have skill

Your just taking credit of the original breeder

I don't show my fish for a reason
My skill are fighter
But I do produce sq fancy fish
With little amount of money
I've pick sq female hm for just 10
Sq male hm for 25
Or 30 for a pair
Not very hard to produce a sq when my lfs get fish from Thailand every month or so.
I've don't breed for the money or for a name
Just for the fun of it

LOL You are saying that the only reason that female won was because Sherolyn knows the judge?....Wow.

BTW how am I taking the credit from the original breeder?? I always state who I buy fish from in my spawns logs and I have never claimed to be some great breeder. I am trying to be a great breeder, but I am far from it right now as I lack the quality of stock that most show breeders have as well as the knowledge base. Which is why I pick Sherolyn's brain every time I see her, I consider her my mentor when it comes to bettas. We all have to start somewhere, and I know I am doing a good job especially considering I just started doing this. You may expect me to be creating show stoppers in my first spawns but I know better. I have more realistic goals for myself.

I also list all of fish on my website and the information includes whether or not I bred the fish or not. I go out of my way to show respect to the original breeders, and I really resent you making that blind statement in anger. I have not been rude to you nor have I insulted you. I Only stated my opinion, and backed it up with facts and quotes. You just made blind accusations in anger.

Last edited by Bettas Rule; 05-08-2012 at 12:01 AM.