Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 
indianabetta

Is this normal for the fry?

my fry have been free swimming for 2 days, and a majority of them stay at the bottom, not moving, or just a little, and occasionally 1 or two will decide to come back up to the surface, but is it normal for them to stay at the bottom?
indianabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #2 
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianabetta View Post
my fry have been free swimming for 2 days, and a majority of them stay at the bottom, not moving, or just a little, and occasionally 1 or two will decide to come back up to the surface, but is it normal for them to stay at the bottom?
Yes it's normal, there still babies some may get tired and just flop back down and go back up again but some may not be as strong as the others or may be deformed but that's normal. But just keep and eye on them like what your doing now and try your best to keep the bottom & water clean as you can
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

First...Congrats.....

My fry when first free swimming are usually all at the top-rarely do I see them at the bottom of the tank even when I spawned with the standard bare bottom, half full of water method.

I spawn using a more natural method using soil based full to the top with water in 5 or 10 gal size tanks-no filtration or water movement-The fry generally stay at the top to mid level hunting and resting in the plants.

Are the fry eating and if so, what are you feeding, water temp, live plants, filter or water movement, is the male still in the tank, water level, any tannin used, if so, what is the tannin source, have you made any water changes, if so, how, when and volume, have you seen any dead fry, tank size, additives used and lights, photoperiod-are you using anything to help retain the heat/humidity over the water.

Can you post a pic...is this your first spawn
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #4 
indianabetta

Ok thankyou! I havent found a dead one yet, so im hoping all is well. My biggest issue right now is knowing how much to feed them, I havent seen them eat the microworms, they must be, but they are sooo small I cant see, and I have no clue if I am underfeeding or overfeeding.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

I get some like the top, some like the bottom. Sometimes the ones at the top are harder to see.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #6 
indianabetta

Ok, so this is my first free swimming fry, all my others never made it :( There is no moving water at this time, the sponge filter is not on yet, the daddy has been removed, I have them in a small walk in well lit closet that is heated and keeps the water at 82 degrees. I am using plastic wrap in case of cold air. I did remove a red solo cups worth of water this morning, and added 2 red solo cups worth of aged same temp water that had been housed in the closet (its my betta closet haha). Trying to raise the water level very slowly. There are quite a few on top and in the middle, but still 1/3 just laying on the bottom. I hope i didnt forget a question
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #7 
indianabetta

I have no plants :( I really wish I had some floating plants, I am in Indiana, and there is not a single place around here with aquatic plants :( Ya I need some java moss for sure!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 
indianabetta

I have removed daddy and mommies "waste" from the bottom with a small turkey baster like thing (sorry I dont know what they are called, they remind me of the things I used to suck the boogers out of my kids noses when they were little)
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #9 
indianabetta

I REALLY wish I knew how to tell if they were eating fine, I am sooo afraid of over feeding or under feeding "gulp"
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you are on the right track...

The way I tell if the fry are eating is by their tummy...it should look round/full and the same color as the food you are feeding...
With microworms...white/cream color....since both the fry are tiny and the MW it can be hard to see them eat.
I can usually see/tell when mine eat by their behavior/movements-darting, chasing, appears to be hunting or looking at the food...etc.....

When I start feeding my fry I like to start conditioning them to a "feeding tap" I give the rim of the tank-(not the glass) a couple of taps as I add the food-this conditions them to come when called-this helps with observation, counting, feeding, netting...etc.....

Microworms can sink pretty fast and the fry may be at the bottom looking for food....If you haven't already-you might want to add a couple of common snails to the tank to help with clean up of any uneaten MW-
The bacteria they create as they decomp can cause problems with ventral fin development and other issues- especially if overfed in the bare bottom tanks.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote