Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #1 
SamJustice

Transferring from store bowl to tank

I know the stores all tell you different things, but what do you guys recommend, just dumping it all in there after acclimation (albeit very gently) or removing him from the store water and placing him in there?
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

What you should do is set the cup into the tank water and let it acclimate that way. With supervision of course so the cup doesn't sink or anything.

I would say maybe 20 minutes.

If you just dump the cup-water and fish into the tank, it could go into shock.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #3 
SamJustice

yeah. he's been acclimating for 30 minutes now. i'm wondering if i should remove him from the bowl water and place him in that way so he's from from the icky bowl or put it all in there?
(the bowl water isn't that icky. this fish guy was there today and he got some clean water this morning)
Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #4 
nel3

i have the API test kit and i usually test the water before i put new water for the fish. its usually ridiculous values that are very high. i prefer to but the bag in a measuring cup or round tupperware that will support the bag as i'll cut off the top of the bag. the tupperware will support the bag so it wont colapse and have the fish out of water. id remove 75% of the store water and slowly add new water to the cut store bag. this may take some time ie 1-3 hours but i dont mind putting him in the tank when the ammonia is 1ppm and .5 for the rest. i dont float the bag in the tank much, i let the small water changes to the store bag to replace the old water do the rest. personally i have a minimum of 30 minutes to play with the small WCs before the fish goes in the tank. if hes already in a bowl just remove the old water gradually and put new water in. it will take a few hours if i just continued to play with tiny WC in the bowl/bag but it will help for atlest 30minutes of such tiny WC to lower the store water parameters to your clean water.

thats just my way, probably not the fastest but atleast the fish will get used to the new tank water easier

the store bowl isnt guaranteed to be clean water as the ammonia and other parameters rise fast with such small water quantity. locally they dont use cups as a transportation means for the buyer to take the fish home. they just dump the water into a plastic bag and i take the bagged fish home.

Last edited by nel3; 05-07-2012 at 01:58 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #5 
SamJustice

all the levels are fine. i borrowed my MILs for her tank. ^.^
He's a bowl. Same basic concept though, eh? I'll just use a net to put him in there gently. ^.^ whilst his fishy water is relatively not filthy, it's not exactly clean either. XD
Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #6 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
all the levels are fine. i borrowed my MILs for her tank. ^.^
He's a bowl. Same basic concept though, eh? I'll just use a net to put him in there gently. ^.^ whilst his fishy water is relatively not filthy, it's not exactly clean either. XD
if all the parameters are fine then it should be realively easy to adjust him in the tank water. my 4 newer fish arrived with 8ppm ammonia 2-4 ppm for both nitrogen bacterias . my first one was just dumped in from newbie presumptions. i usually dont use a net but if it can be done safely then feel free to do so. so far ive only used a net to trap the fish to coax them into the temp wc glasses.

Last edited by nel3; 05-07-2012 at 02:04 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #7 
SamJustice

Lol. my first one was netted out and placed in after adjusting water temps.

So was this lil fella. He's swimming around and investigating everything.

Hmm. Can you tell me what color/tail type he is perchance? He's labelled as a crown (and i do believe he is, i just wanna make sure lol)
Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Its best not to add any of the pet shop water to your tank-dump it down the drain or in a potted plant.

Its important to acclimate to both the temp and chemistry of the new water with new fish and when doing 100% water changes.

When a Betta sits on the shelf in the small temporary display cup at the pet shop for extended time being fed but without water changes-the byproducts build up and these byproducts normal decomp can cause the pH to drop-with low pH this can convert ammonia to ammonium-then when you add the fresh tank water this can cause the pH to increase causing the ammonium to convert back to ammonia.

To avoid this for the acclimation process-add a drop of ammonia neutralizer

Then dump half the water out and add small amounts of the tank water to the holding cup until full over 10-15min or to its tolerance-(this time-line can vary)....

Repeat as needed-
Then net (I usually pour them into the net) the Betta with a soft meshed pre-wet net and add to the new tank (save this cup and lid-great to use for transport, temporary holding cup for water changes and to use for QT)

If you have to top off the new tank-be sure and use dechlorinator with any new water added.

If the Betta seems stressed-turn off the light for a few hours to 24h and hold food-
If not stressed and responding to you leave the light on and feed a small amount of food.....

Enjoy....that is what its all about.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Can you tell me what color/tail type he is perchance
Male crowntail as for color - I don't know. I never did understand color names for bettas

Quote:
my 4 newer fish arrived with 8ppm ammonia
The last few ones I have picked up from walmart/petco had pretty bad ammonia levels, although thats not really surprising.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #10 
SamJustice

cool. thanks. he seems happy. i put a mirror up to get him to flare for a pic. and then he started making a bubble nest after i toke it down. lol.