Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 
LinkLover

Maybe I'm just not right for fish...

It seems like everything that could go wrong has over the last couple weeks. One of my rescues died (although it wasn't a surprise, it was still hard), my boyfriend lost three of his tiger barbs in a matter of hours, Link (my only permanent and first betta) now has a problem that I can't diagnose, and last night my most recent rescue (who was getting better) started floating and not breathing off and on, so I'm expecting him to go at any time. All this death is taking a huge toll on me (as I have never handled it very well) and I don't know if I should just quit keeping fish. I know things happen, and that with taking in sick fish there is a chance they won't make it, but I feel like this is too much. Ugh.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 
CaseyA

No advice, just (((((hugs))))). Don't make any permanent decisions until you've had some time to consider it--days, preferably.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #3 
lelei

Aww..big hugs from us (Me and Sammy) too..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #4 
LinkLover

Thanks guys. I can use all the hugs I can get right now. :/
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

*hugs*
Bettas don't have very long lifespans to begin with and the horrible conditions sores keep them in makes them even shorter. I know I will be heartbroken when one of my sympathy purchases passes on. He survived an ammonia level of 8.0 and ammonia poisioing curtsey of walmart, almost freezing to death in the Yukon and the 5000 mile journey from alaska to NY in January.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 
LinkLover

Wow that is one tough little fish. I can definitely see it would be hard when he goes. :/ I don't even know how my latest rescue is even alive. He is barely moving and has fuzzy stuff on his eyes. Watching an animal die is like the hardest thing in the world.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

I'm not sure how he made it either. I wasn't gonna get him but for reasons I don't understand, my boyfriend insisted I take him home. He was bent over in his cup, his fins were burnt off and rotting in his cup, bad fin rot and raid gill movement, plus he couldn't swim. He totally recovred except his crowntail points grew back kinda funky.

Fuzzy stuff on his eyes? Like columnaris or fungus? or are they cloudy
Have you tried any medications?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #8 
LinkLover

Well good for you! I'm glad there are people willing to take such sad looking fish.

I know he has bad fin rot (that's why I got him) but today he seems to have little bits of white fuzz on his eyes. It wasn't there last night. I have been doing AQ salt treatments since I got him on Friday. Like I said he was doing much better until last night, so I don't know what's wrong.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

i lost LOT'S of betta's last year, it was around 15-20 fish :( i missed them all and remember there names by heart. but am still going, i even lost like 3 or 2 spawns as well :( but i learn each time i loose one, and i lost like 3 this year too
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Did you post a thread in the disease section?
Fish keeping is a learning experience, everyone goes through these hard times. Stay strong and don't give up, you're doing more for them than most people ever would!
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote