Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #11 
LinkLover

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I couldn't imagine dealing with all of that in one year, you must be really strong. I take every death so hard, sometimes I want to give up on having pets period (even though I don't think I could since I love them so much). I just went to check on my boyfriends' tank, and two more of his barbs died. :'( This is getting ridiculous. Maybe I need something hardier...
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #12 
LinkLover

Thanks Olympia, and I have not posted in that section since he appeared to only have fin rot, and only acted up right before bed last night. I keep checking on him and am honestly surprised when he moves at all. I might post a thread, but I don't think he will make it long enough to do anything for him. :(
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #13 
Sheldon31

Oh dear honey! Keep it up you're doing a great job, we all worry about our fish and the fact that you care so much when so many others don't shows that you are cut out for this! I lost 2 tetras in a week and it broke my heart as I'd even named one of them. He had a very small tail and struggled a bit so I hand fed him when he would let me and named him Tiny Tim. He died sadly on my daughters 3rd birthday. I then lost another to white spot. It's never easy to lose anything, person or pet. Take some time, face these challenges and when they are over, re-evaluate.

Chin up :) We're all here. hugs xx
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Besides, the fact that you care so much proves that you are right for keeping fish. You're questioning yourself and trying to figure out what went wrong. So many people just don't care and go buy another fish without a second thought as to what happened. You're showing that you care, and want to improve. :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #15 
LinkLover

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. This weekend has just been such a disaster, and I've been trying so hard to make a difference for these guys, and it seems like everything is blowing up in my face. But I'm trying to convince myself to keep going, although it hasn't been very successful.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #16 
nicebear24

I am sorry for your loss , but be strong and do not stop fish keeping!
nicebear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #17 
LinkLover

Thank you. Well, last night my rescue fishie died. :'( It was almost a relief, as I had been watching him struggle for over 24 hours, and didn't want him to suffer anymore. This has been a really hard week. :/
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #18 
Animalfreak

Sorry for your losses. *hugs*.
Animalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #19 
Sheldon31

Oh I'm so sorry you lost another betta baby :( I didn't think it was possible to have a bond with a fish. Afterall you don't take a fish for walks or give him cuddles in the evening or have him sit on your knee like a cat while watching TV but since having Kyon I've grown to feel we connect so I dunno what I'd feel if I lost him. I don't think I'd get another betta if he was my only one. I'm not even sure if I am going to have a betta while I've still got Ky because I dunno if I could love another like him. (same reason I'm not having anymore children). I'd love to do rescues though, but I wouldn't ever find homes for them as they are not popular fish here. People like things like Cichlids and Angels more. :( How is your Link now?
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #20 
LinkLover

I was the exact same way as you. I never had a particular liking for fish (but I didn't dislike them either), but when I wanted to get a new, small pet I decided on a betta. After getting Link I realized that you CAN love fish, and get super attached to them. I actually feel the same in that regard too, where if I get close to an animal of a certain species, I never get that species again because it wouldn't be the same. The only other bettas I have gotten besides Link were for rescues, who have all gone to good homes or unfortunately didn't make it (except my last one, I'm trying to rehome him). I don't think I ever want another permanent betta. But who knows? Link... He SEEMS fine. Eating, swimming, and all his usual stuff. But his fins seem to look worse every day. I have tested his water and I know it's safe, so I have no clue what's going on.