Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #1 
Sheldon31

Territorial Kyon is Territorial!

So I come up to bed at 10pm with other half and see a very excited Kyon waving about and gliding around like an elegant ballroom dancer, I take a closer look so I can marvel at this sudden desplay of pure beauty (ky doesn't show off much) and I notice a massive bubblenest! It was like he was saying to me "look mummy look what I made you! Can I have lady friend now ". However he's protecting it with his life! He's usually quite ignorant of the others in the tank, the kittens and tetras don't get much contact with him and he never gives them chase but tonight if they get so much as a foot away from the next which is on the far left near his gills come out and everything. He's always flared but only his fins never his gills! As proud as I am of his lovely nest (it's like when your child brings home their first peice of art on their first day of school) I don't want him harming anyone. The corys and tetras are way too fast for him but he's still giving a bit of chase. I'm also worried he'll harm himself. I have a spare tank if need be but it's uncycled with no filter and damage. It's my summer fixer upper but it's ok for now. What if I break the nest up? will he calm then?

Thank you everyone!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

The nest itself isn't the behavioral building problem, it's "mating season" being fed well, warm water, clean water... all contribute. That doesn't mean you should starve him, stop cleaning and keep the heater off!! :o But if he does en up hurting himself or another fish it would be best to remove him. I never had that problem with Spartan, as he was older when he was with other fish - and when he was 6 months I had him with fish at first and he did chase when he was younger....eventually he gave up
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #3 
Sheldon31

He broke up the nest himself in the end. Once the nest was gone he calmed down. It only lasted a day or two.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote