Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #1 
SamJustice

Betta Shopping list (and quick question)

When I get paid friday, I'm going betta shopping.
I have water conditioner and pellets (both are tertra brand, both are being changed. Water conditioner to prime and pellets to omega one.) I also have a plant.

Now. Tomorrow I'll be getting the mardell test strips, aquarium salt, stress coat, and stress zyme.

Friday, I'll be getting the new water conditioner and pellets, with the addition of omega one flakes and hikari brine shrimp food.

I'll also be getting dwarf baby tears, java fern, and moss ball, plant-wise.

Anything else I'll need on hand, JIC?

I'm looking into the API master test kit, but none of my LPS carry it. I'll be calling some a bit farther away in a little while to see if they have it.

And, also. Small question. How do i tell if a betta is stressed? Johnny's laying at the bottom of his tank, though he was swimming earlier. He still flares up though. Just is inactive. Stressed? Sick? I see nothing else visibly wrong. And i borrowed a test strip to test the water before placing him in there. Everything was good.

Last edited by SamJustice; 05-07-2012 at 06:33 PM.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #2 
tiffanini

It's probably just better to get your API master test kit instead of getting the Mardell test strips. I got my online for less than $25 (Amazon) and they're much more reliable than test strips.

In my opinion, Seachem Prime is the best water conditioner because it's highly economical (about 1 drop=1 gallon) and it has rave reviews. I would get that for your water conditioner.

My number one rule to tell if a betta is stressed is to see if they get stress stripes. They will appear on the side of their body and can be an indicator of stress and/or illness.

Since you're getting plants, I recommend also getting seachem excel fluorish as a source of carbon for your plants because of your dwarf baby tears.
tiffanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #3 
SamJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanini View Post
It's probably just better to get your API master test kit instead of getting the Mardell test strips. I got my online for less than $25 (Amazon) and they're much more reliable than test strips.

In my opinion, Seachem Prime is the best water conditioner because it's highly economical (about 1 drop=1 gallon) and it has rave reviews. I would get that for your water conditioner.

My number one rule to tell if a betta is stressed is to see if they get stress stripes. They will appear on the side of their body and can be an indicator of stress and/or illness.

Since you're getting plants, I recommend also getting seachem excel fluorish as a source of carbon for your plants because of your dwarf baby tears.
I know about the test kit. But i'll have to drive for an hour or more, and won't have the time/gas money till friday.
I'll look for the Seachem. Chances are though, my LPSs won't have it, or it'll be too expensive till friday, too. Possibly not even till next week. V.V Money is a bit tight with a 3mo old. XD
And i'll look at the seachem excel flourish. =3 I hope we've got it around here. I'll hate having to drive to the big jack's aquarium for everything. XD
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

The only thing I see missing is a heater, thermometer and a cave or some other decor like a cave for your betta to hide and/or rest in. Other than those few items, looks like you have a pretty good list.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 
SamJustice

oh lol. I've a heater and themometer. just forgot it as i figure it's standard.

and decor. *facedesk* how could i forget hidey-holes? XD i'm planning on some of those too. probably one or two, as my tank's only a 2.5 gal. XD I even have it on my written down list. XD
Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

It may be standard to you, but some new members that come here need to know that those items are essential. Sounds like you're all set. Good luck on your shopping trip.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #7 
SamJustice

also. not sure if he has stress stripes. he's a black and blue boy.. o.0
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #8 
Rosso1011

I couldn't tell without looking. I think stress stripes are usually rather apparent. None of my males has ever striped up on me before. I did see this poor little female at petco who was striped up like nobody's business. Poor girl. I just have no room for her.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #9 
SamJustice

aww. my camera sucks, or i'd gt a picture, but none come out very clear. i'll go try a few more times.

alright. tried. have a few alright ones.. will post them in a second.

They're the best i could get. V.V

Last edited by SamJustice; 05-07-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: to add pics of betta to see if he has stress stripes.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #10 
SamJustice

I forgot a gravel cleaner/siphon. lol.
Any recommendations?