Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #21 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBaybee View Post
@ Micho, it's one of the "BettaKeepers" mini tanks, the triangular one. You can see a pic online, there's a bunch of them posted if you Google BettaKeeper. My home stays at 74 - 76 degrees, I'm not really sure why everyone keeps saying that they use heaters. Bettas usually do fine within that temp. Maybe once Tiny gets bigger I will purchase a larger habitat, but she is really really tiny. Shouldn't this be plenty of room, for now?
Did the research, it holds 40oz of water which is 0.3125g. . . Bettas are tropical fish, and they thrive when the temperature of the water is around 78F ~ 82F, your house is at 76F give or take, you have to take into consideration that air is warmer than water, so minus 5F off of that and the water temperature is around 71F, not exactly toasty to Bettas.

And the reason why people use heaters is that not only to heat the water but to keep the temperature stable, people use heaters in goldfish tanks (coldwater fish), because they water might too cold even for them, and to stabilize the temperature rather let it fluctuate throughout the day (which could kill the fish).

Even though she's tiny, it's like saying a baby can live in a closet. Not really, no. I highly suggest you upgrade to 1 gallon or bigger, 0.3g is too small to heat safely, too small for a fish in general, even for a baby fish. With smaller tanks comes with more water changes, why we make these water changes is to keep the ammonia levels down.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #22 
MrVampire181

"Baby" bettas are actually juveniles. I have almost 100 juveniles growing out in my fish room right now. During this time they're producing a ton of hormones. One of these stunts them. Meaning if too much builds up in the tank they can stay stunted as a juvenile for their entire life. To counteract this I use large tanks (never under 20 gallons) as grow outs. These tanks allow me to go a few days without draining and refilling them. I used to use tanks between 10 and 16 gallons but they proved too small for 30+ juvenile bettas.

Baby bettas also need more food and warmer temperatures to grow correctly. Warm water increases growth however, it increases metabolism. I keep my tanks no less than 80 and no higher than 90 (ideal is 84-86F). I feed my fry (babies) four times a day until three weeks. Then they get baby brine shrimp once a day (they snack on it all day). At five weeks I place live daphnia in the tank and they rip them apart and pack on the growth. I recently placed my 7 week old metallic multi HMPKs in a 30 gallon filled with daphnia and they cleaned it out in two days. Once they get big enough for Atison Pro (around 8-10 weeks old) I start them on that and then they really get growing and start looking like adults.

Most of these "baby" bettas being sold are at least five weeks old. Perhaps no older than eight weeks.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

+1 Mr V
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #24 
BettaBaybee

Thanks so much everyone for the input! I have a gold mine of info now and will work to make Tiny happy and healthy. BUT my biggest question still stands, is this fishy too young to sex? If not, is she a girl like I'm thinking? HELP pleeeease! I have to be sure!
BettaBaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #25 
BettaBaybee

Also, is fresh spring water okay to use? I would rather buy a couple gallons of spring water instead of using tap and having to add a bunch of chemicals to it to soften it.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #26 
Sena Hansler

you have hard water?

well... not sure of spring water, but some people use half and half.. half tap water (with tap water conditioner that neutralizes metals, chlorine etc) and spring water... But I am no expert on that :)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #27 
BettaBaybee

I have well water. I really don't want to use tap at all. Too hard to make sure its' safe. The simplest approach seems to make the most sense to me, spring water is already pretty pure. I am using the Petco Betta Water right now, wondering what the difference is between that and spring.....besides being way overpriced.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #28 
Sena Hansler

betta water??? o_O that's new to me as for spring water... I think OFL, Mr V and a few others know more about it... but I think something is missing in it or something...? so you may need to add stuff to it, but I dunno x.x

here is one thread... http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....t=spring+water OFL explains why you should add a little of tap water to mix in, since our bottled spring water and such doesn't have the good stuff.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #29 
BettaBaybee

Still no one has answered my #1 question.....LOL.... it must be just too young for you guys to tell the sex.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #30 
Sena Hansler

I did so answer!!! Look at my other post lol I said I couldn't tell mainly because he/she looks too youung and it's hard to sex :)
juvenile males can have an egg spot. males and females can look the same for bodies... so hard to tell although if that were what he'd/she'd stay like, they would be a male only because of the body shape (to me). Females tend to be more "curved" for the tummy, or fatter, but this one may be too young right now. it'll be a surprise :p

Tags
baby, female