Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #41 
clh101

This is what I found to be the betta water:

Clean, purified water processed by reverse osmosis, with supplemental oxygen.
clh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #42 
ravenwinds

Supplemental oxygen? Does this mean it's like that fad a few years ago where they added oxygen to water for humans? The hype was that it gave your body a boost and made it work more efficiently during exercise. As a nurse and a scientist, I can tell you that it doesn't work for humans because we don't use oxygen that we eat or drink like that...it has to go through our lungs. I doubt it would work that well on fish since whatever stayed in the bottled water, which would be very small percentage, would be in the wrong form for them to use.

And for bettas, about as much use as an air stone I believe.

Sounds like really expensive water that is missing what fish need (trace minerals which were removed w/ RO) and has processes done to it that aren't useful to bettas..
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #43 
BettaBaybee

WOW. I am starting to realize that I am in the company of pretty intelligent people here. You guys rock, and your knowledge of this stuff is staggering. I think the bottom line is, which a few of you said, you can't sterotype well water, it depends on where you live. Each area is different, so you must test. I was just about to go out today and get a gallon of spring water and call it a day, but I guess there's a lot more work involved than I thought.

SO, would it be enough if I were to go to Petco (only store around for me) and just get water treatment solution, treat my tap water, and use that? Do I HAVE to test still after that? If so, what solution do you recommend? Is there one that is just one step and the water is ready?

The Petco woman said spring water is just fine to use, and was confident in her answer. This is exactly why I never take what any person in Petsmart or Petco says seriously. It was painfully obvious that they don't know what the hell they are talking about half the time, and the 4 dead babies that I found and had to HAND to the employee to get her to notice them just proves my point. Idiots. Thank God there are sites like this one... or Bettas would be on the endangered species list before long.
BettaBaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #44 
SlabSided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Someone on here has a well that spits out 40ppm nitrate straight.
That would be me. Last time I checked it was actually somewhere between 40-80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh101 View Post
The well water shouldn't have too high of a nitrate content, don't worry about it, after treating it should be fine. I always let me water sit for few days after being treated and then change my tank over.
You can't "treat" the nitrates out of the water except via RO or some other process I can't remember the name of. Letting it sit or even boiling it does nothing.

I've been cutting mine about 50/50 with bottled spring water (which I also tested and has about 5 ppm nitrates) and using Seachem Purigen in my filter and the nitrates stay around 5 ppm in the tank.

In the meantime, I continue to drink my well water, which tastes great, without noticeable effects.
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #45 
Sena Hansler

I would test afterwards just to see the results :) Plus if you get into a habit of testing every now and then, because certain environmental things will change so the well water will too.

If you WERE to use spring water you need to suppliment the minerals.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #46 
SamJustice

I must thank you guys. reading this thread has helped me out a bit.
I have city water, and every thing in it is perfect. Except the pH. It's almost 6.0. (and tastes icky. /= )
Would pH up make the pH go up, without changing anything else? 'Cause when I treat it with water conditioner, it makes the water extremely hard..

Or would cutting it with spring water have the desired effect?
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #47 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
I must thank you guys. reading this thread has helped me out a bit.
I have city water, and every thing in it is perfect. Except the pH. It's almost 6.0. (and tastes icky. /= )
Would pH up make the pH go up, without changing anything else? 'Cause when I treat it with water conditioner, it makes the water extremely hard..

Or would cutting it with spring water have the desired effect?
6 is nothing, mine is over 8 and the bettas are just fine.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #48 
Sena Hansler

Bettas are darn hardy :3 Mine are in 7.6
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #49 
BettaBaybee

Okay guys, so instead of turning my thread into a water comparison contest (LOL) can we please stick to the subject..... I asked what water treatment solution I should get and if it's possible to get something that's just one step and the water is ready. SO, overall question, what is the EASIEST to do here with the water situation? Busy single mother of 3, but care a lot about my Betta. Want to do what's best but not looking to have a lab in my kitchen either LOL.....
BettaBaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #50 
SamJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
6 is nothing, mine is over 8 and the bettas are just fine.
lol
mine is in between 6.8 and 7.2, 'cause i treated the water. but treating it made it really hard..
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby, female