Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #61 
SamJustice

gotcha. i only managed to get it up to 6.2 with the spring water and treating. xD
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #62 
bahamut285

@OP/Bettabaybee: Please get your water tested so we can better accomodate to your water needs. I'll be happy to give my opinion via PM

@Everybody else turning this into a conversation/chat/trying to ask their own questions: Please make your own thread and/or do not derail OP's thread.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #63 
BettaBaybee

Hey, this isn't OP's thread, it's miiiine!!! LOL.....
SO, update: I decided to use tap water and Betta water conditioner. I also purchased a small beautiful blue and striped veiltail female, "Dory", and the two of them love each other and have beem swimming peacefully close to each other ever since I put them together. They seem to have really bonded, and don't separate much, which I figured. Only thing is, the more I look at Tiny, I think he is a male. So I will keep a close eye on him as he grows and if I see ANY aggressiveness toward Dory, she will get a separate apartment :) I will do a half water change every other day to every 3 days to keep ammonia down since there are 2 fishies in there now. They seem very happy and content and have perked up a lot since having company. Goes to show sometimes, even if people advise against it, you just have to try something yourself if you have a gut instinct about it. So far, SO GREAT! They are so cute together, you can tell....that....they may just be in love...... :) Thanks everyone for the help. Will post updates when I can.
BettaBaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #64 
ao
TFK Moderator

OP= original poster

How big is your tank again? might need a lot more water changes. At that tiny age, baby betta fish usually do fine with each other, that is how they grow up usually, then the more aggressive males are separated once they start showing aggression. I really do recommend a 100% water change atleast every two days, they will grow faster too. I set aside a large gallon bottle of pre treated water just for that purpose.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #65 
BettaBaybee

Tank holds a little over a liter. It's small. But I plan on doing water changes frequently, and also already have my eye on a larger tank. Don't worry, these babies are in good hands. :)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #66 
BettaBaybee

Oh and thank you bahamut for pointing out people having their own conversations on here and derailing my thread. Glad someone besides me noticed and cared enough to say something. Right on. :)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #67 
ao
TFK Moderator

well as long as it's not just "half water change" then you should be fine. Even if you do a "half water change" every day, the ammonia will build up. Also apparently water changes will change out growth inhibiting phermones released into the water, and encourages fish growth.

I'm keeping mine in a jar, with plants, substrate and kept in the warmest room of my house (the shoe room with the water boiler and heater) ~84F :) it's growing much faster than when I kept it in my room ~75, temperature is also much steadier.

you just reminded me to post my own photos, I've neglected to do that for too long.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #68 
BettaBaybee

A full water change? Are you sure? If that's the best thing then I will do it, but I was afraid to because of such a shock to all new water. Thought it was important to not do that.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #69 
Micho

. . . . :T

Your tank isn't even suitable for one Betta why buy ANOTHER one? I'm sorry but if this sounds mean or hurtful, but your tank only holds 0.3g, that is not enough! Even for a single Betta, even if it is a baby! I highly suggest you upgrade, buying another one was not a good idea.

0.3g is not enough to house 2 Bettas. Also 50% water changes are not enough, 100% everyday, I'm still wondering how you're properly heating the tank. .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #70 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBaybee View Post
A full water change? Are you sure? If that's the best thing then I will do it, but I was afraid to because of such a shock to all new water. Thought it was important to not do that.
True for other fish.... but all the bettas I've had before have only been happier after their water changes. And I always do 100%. I've heard of fish being stressed out about it, given all the individual personalities they have, I definitely think its possible. However I always keep my temperature as accurate as possible to the original temperature, no stressed out fish yet.

I recommend you take out the gravel if its too much hassle to clean it out every time. wait till they are bigger and when you get a bigger tank to put in all the decorations, they will probably appreciate that swimming space.

Tags
baby, female