Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #1 
keith1964

Black Dragon HM Pair

I have bought a black dragon HM pair and they are still young fish. Some where I must be doing something wrong. My female releases her eggs while male chases her and this had happened twice in a 3 day period.

First time she released her eggs while in her holding chamber, and during the period of chasing.

Second time she showed signs that she was ready to be embrassed but the male was just circling her, he gave chase and she released her eggs.

I have been having the pair in the same tank since the 27/04/2012, male roaming around the tank and building nest while female was in her holding chamber. Could it be that I had the pair too long in the same tank before releasing the female.

The second session their was a different reaction female become more willing to spawn but male just circles her. Female followed male around the tank and made her way to the nest.

I have the tank set-up near by bedside, probably I need to close-up the front with darker paper to give them more privacy. The tank is completely enclosed with styrofoam due to us going into winter.

I use wax paper where the male builds his nest, he had a choice between styrofoam cup or wax paper. He immediately built this massive nest under the wax paper.

I must also remove the sponge filter from the spawning tank, someone gave me advice to get my females use to hiding inside a small piece of pvc piping.
keith1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would get them separated-each in their own small container-neither in the spawning tank-placed so that they can't see each other and over the next week-mass feed the best quality varied diet and live foods if you have any. Let them see each other for 5min once a day.

Get your spawning tank ready in the mean time.....also, tell us more about your spawning tank-post a pic if you can......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 
jeffegg2

Cool

You don't have to remove the sponge filter, just squeeze out any detrius from it and a gentle rinsing, and turn it off.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #4 
keith1964

HMPK Pair

Black Dragon HM Pair
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 AM   #5 
Junglist

ahhh the good ol' wax paper brings back memories

I thought I was the only one still using the old school wax paper method. They seem to build a thicker & bigger nest under wax paper and it helps with droplets and air drift from preventing the nest bubbles from popping so less work for the male

Last edited by Junglist; 05-09-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #6 
keith1964

Someone here in South Africa gave me this idea and it worked on all my male bettas.

As we are approaching winter I am holding back on spawning, but I so much one this pair to spawn.

Female released her eggs twice before spawning could take place. Male is very aggressive.

This is their first spawning probably both are still inexperience. I removed her completely from his tank as they had been seeing each other since the 28/04/2012 until I released her into his tank after he built this massive nest.

I am now going to condition them for another 2 weeks (feeding the Atison Pro Pallets, Ocean Nutrition Discus Bloodworm Pallets, Omega Betta Pallets).

I am not keen in feeding frozen as due to cold chain breakage. I am rather going to raise baby brine shrimp to adulthood and feed them to my adult bettas.

For my fry I have a microworm culture going, bbs and atison betta starter food.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Some females releases eggs quickly while others need a longer courtship period. Your PK girl seems to get to the point and release eggs. So Keep them separated until you're ready to spawn them. Prepare the tank and let it age while you condition the pair.

Next time, introduce them in the late afternoon and make sure both are flirt swimming. If they are, immediately release the female. She should lay eggs the following day.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 
bettaboytroy

I feel your pain. My pair have been embracing for 3 1/2 days and my female will not drop eggs even though her belly looks full of them. Looks like we have the exact opposite problems. I'm pretty new to this myself. It seems everyone has there own style and many things can work (or not work). Maybe something that might work for you is to get the breeding tank set up (and have your fish conditioned). Put both fish in the tank at the same time. No introductions. Just make sure there are hiding places while they sort things out. I've taken a lot of time getting everything just right with poor results several times now. I have had some success with this shock method. Maybe we just try to hard.

I was wondering when she dropped eggs when being chased if the male ate them. Could he have discovered a new food source. "Hey if if i chase this girl she drops treats for me." Maybe at that point it wasn't courtship chasing it was just a ploy to get food. Just a thought.

Best of luck to you.
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #9 
keith1964

Last night I let the HMPK male have a peek of the HMPK female for 5 minutes, he went ballistic dancing and stretching those fins like you cannot belive it. Swimming fast in his betta container flaring at her as she flirted with him.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #10 
keith1964

Last night another peek at the HMPK female, HMPK male became all alert flaring, stretching of fins and fast swimming. HMPK female flirted back at him. Belly starting to become round.