Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1 
SnowySurface

Snail Invasion

I've been thinking about doing a 20 gallon long NPT and figured I would try mmy hand at live plants by floating Ancharanis (spelling? ) and a moss ball in each of my 5 gallon long tanks. Well, I'm glad I did the practice run because my plants each had snails on them. At first it was only 1 or 2 snails so I ignored them because I figured that if I didn't feed them they would just die. Not only is that idea a bit mean but 1 snail turned into 15 in one of my tanks and the other tank now has 20 snails. I'm pretty sure 5 gallon tanks shouldn't have that many snails.

I have no idea how they are thriving since I'm litterally ignoring them in the hopes that they will die off. I have nothing against them and I even think the adult snail is cute. But they multiplied to the point that I'm worried my tank is over stocked already and I haven't even added my betta fish yet. Since they seem to be living off of my live plant, is there a humane way to kill snails?

Also, I have no idea what kind of snail I'm dealing with since it hitch-hiked into my tank. The adult seems to be about an inch long with a brown shell that I only see in the early morning when I get up at about 6AM and at night.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Google snail pics and see if you can figure out what kind it is....it almost sounds like a trumpet snail and you need them for NPT's soil based tanks. They are livebearing snails and can reproduce pretty fast-but most of the common snail can.

Since this is a closed system-you have to manually remove them on a regular basis and properly destroy and discard......

Place them between newspaper and use something heavy like a big book or hammer and smash them and throw them in the trash, burn or bury.....

You never want to release them into the native habitat-due to them possibly out-competing native species and this can upset the ecosystem......as hard as it may be/seem...you have to properly destroy and discard the remains.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #3 
PandaBetta

Check this site it will help you understand the snails better :)

http://www.planetinverts.com/snail_species.html
PandaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #4 
SnowySurface

Thanks for the responses. :)

Based on PandaBetta's link, I have pond snails. So it looks like I'm going to be spending some of tonight culling pond snail babies. XD I'll probably use the heavy book method and toss the remains out in the trash since I think my landlord will get mad if make a bonfire in my apartment. lol
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You can make a trap using a small jar and add a piece of lettuce or algae wafer at lights out and remove with lights on....sometimes easier when you have a lot of tiny snails-if the Betta is in the tank-use lettuce...happy hunting....
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

that seems so inhumane though! just use clove oil for them? i mean really!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
that seems so inhumane though! just use clove oil for them? i mean really!
Why would a fast death be anymore inhumane than a slow death with clove oil....
Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #8 
Pogthefish

because would you rather die being smashed by a huge book, or peacefully put to sleep, not knowing anything was wrong?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #9 
Mo

I believe the effects are different for each species, the fast death IMO would be better than a slow, painful death. I wouldn't consider killing "pest" snails anyway but from various expirenced and extensive research the best way would to be crush them in your fingers or use a heavy object to kill them. Honestly, why don't you get a small 1 gallon tank to house them in. Itll save you time, the water changes aren't very high depending on how many you have, it won't take up much space, they are pretty interesting to watch, etc.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #10 
LinkLover

I agree, just get a tank for them! I have a snail tank, and they are fun to watch and super entertaining. It gives you a chance to learn more about them too!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote