Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #1 
indianabetta

feather tails bad?

Welp, I ordered 3 females from one breeder off aquabid, not going to name who, and 1 of them ended up being a boy, his fins have grown out mostly now, and he is ..........a feather tail!! I have never even heard of these, are these bad? His dad was a halfmoon, but I believe the mom to be a rosetail.
indianabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #2 
shadowpony

Depends. They ussaly have a little trouble swimming, and the fry ussaly are severely deformed, and must be culled.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #3 
lelei

Smile Feather tail?

I think that is what "Sammy" has take a look, there are so many different types of tails, when my daughter brought him home, his container said Halfmoon male, but now I am finding out he's a "Feather-tail" or some variation..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 
Luimeril

:I feather/rosetails don't always have trouble swimming. take a look at my Todd, who's a beautiful rosetail, and tell me he has trouble swimming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8pHwRc2izo

you kinda wanna stay away from them while breeding. Mr. V would know exactly why, but i know the added finnage isn't that good for them, and the trait often comes with scale deformities which don't look pretty(i think some of it's neat, but isn't what you want when breeding). and, i've heard they often have weaker immune systems, but that could have been bad luck...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 
indianabetta

Mine is def. a feathertail, it has the most extreme feathering I have ever seen, 3 times as bad as a rosetail, im sad because when his fins started growing I got excited, BUT he isnt a halfmoon, nor are his sisters, like the guy said they would be :(
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

feather tail/rose tail are almost the same thing, just feathered tail is more extremely ruffled, it is a bad deformity, but awhile pretty
the reason it isn't good for breeding is because basically it is a bad deformity on the HM, and it could cause scale deformation, i think deformed spines
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

a healthy rose/feather tail is a rarity .. it happens when (there are other case's when it happens this is just one of them) your breeding OHM's to s.deltas to get extra ray branching while your goal is getting HM's .. in such a breeding process sometimes you get a rose/feather ..

the deformity came to be from irresponsible breeding .. where OHM's and OHM's are over inbreed .. and developed an x-factor gene
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

They are genetic train wrecks that result in an insane amount of deformities and are very difficult to breed out of a line. The excess fins cause strains on the body, after several generations the body of that line becomes too weak to support the fins and they can often have issues swimming. Accompanied by spoon head and hunch back traits.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #9 
indianabetta

Yep the male has a pretty severe spoon head
Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #10 
betta lover1507

my boy in my avi is (suppose) a "Rosetail" i was looking forward to breeding him, but i don't want deformed fish
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote