Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #11 
Tamyu

I don't have personal experience with this myself, but breeders in Japan use 2 liter soft drink bottles. Cut the top part off where it starts to become narrow toward the lid, use a lighter to melt it a tiny bit around the cut edge so it is not sharp... And you are set to go.

You can put well over a liter in and the top is still too far away for jumping. They are also "free" and can be trashed if a fish is sick or dies.

They are shaped to be packed with the least space while being sturdy and holding the most liquid. The breeder I bought my pair from lines them up in a water filled styrofoam box with a heater in the middle to keep them all the same temp.

I have been saving and prepping all of mine to get ready for breeding.

--- Just looked and it seems like the 2 liter bottles in the US are much weaker and flimsier than the ones we have in Japan.

ETA: Pic of juvenile betta growing out in a bottle...
http://art2.photozou.jp/bin/photo/96...n?download=yes

Last edited by Tamyu; 05-08-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #12 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I use the clear 1 quart square plastic container sold at Walmart for $1.35 each. They require daily cleaning but are roomy for single males until they get their forever home.
I also get the walmart square plastic jars, but the one gallon size! About $2.98? Good for two cleanings a week! A real clear plastic and easy to see through. They are larger and require more room. I have converted my basement bathroom into a heated fish room so heating is not an issue. If I really make some kind of success at this I may make a real dedicated fish room.

I don't use seperators...

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #13 
bettalover2000

Sorry to distract from the original post, but I was thinking of buying one of these and filling it with water, and then putting clean tupperware containers in it for male housing when I breed this summer. I saw one in person and it looked like it could fit about 4-5 containers. What do you think?
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #14 
MollyJean

I picked up a few of these for hospital tanks last time I was out at Dollar Tree. They hold a gallon of water, easy, so make for great temp tanks.

http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-s...6342/index.pro

And a buck each with a lid.. can't really beat that! They also have 1 gallon tupperwere boxes for a buck, but those aren't on the site.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #15 
EvilVOG

I use your standard Ball quart canning jar that you can get most anywhere. Lots of cleaning. Hope to someday have a barrack setup to replace it though.

I currently heat my jars with some under tank heat pads from my reptile days. I'm using them in conjunction with a thermostat that is designed to work with them, and keeping a close watch with my infared temp gun and adjusting it as needed. Mostly i don't need to adjust it much other than when the temp went from 50 to 80 overnight.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #16 
BeckyFish97

Sorry for taking so long to reply, thanks for all the answers, I have a few of these hanging round my house, I don't know if they would work because of the top of them being such a small hole but I thought I would check anyway:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en...9,r:1,s:0,i:72
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #17 
ootfifawithbubba

i saved my boys adoption jars so when i clean the tank thats where i put them
ootfifawithbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #18 
EvilVOG

that tiny hole would be a no-go for me. The only way to get the betta back out would be dumping it, and then it might not come out with the water, and disaster.

Not to mention if you do need to clean it, there's no way to get anything in there to clean it.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #19 
BeckyFish97

Yes thats what I thought, but I thought I should check anyway, thanks :)
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #20 
jeffegg2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
that tiny hole would be a no-go for me. The only way to get the betta back out would be dumping it, and then it might not come out with the water, and disaster.

Not to mention if you do need to clean it, there's no way to get anything in there to clean it.
Tiny hole? Huh? what?.....

What container is that?

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote