Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 
wah543

Fin Rot Question

I have a male and female betta in a 2.5 gallon tank and I usually change the water once a week but I didn't get a chance to this week because of finals. Today I was looking at my female and she had a small red speck on one of her bottom fins, I think it might be fin rot, but I'm not too sure yet. I changed the water today. I'm just wondering what I should be looking out for to make sure if it's fin rot or not and if I was to use the aquarium salt treatment would have any negative effects on the male in the tank?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? About 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Another Male betta separated by a divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, skip a day a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Regular dechlorinating chemicals

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She has a little red speck on one of her bottom fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not Sure
wah543 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #2 
wah543

anyone?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #3 
ZackyBear

Do you have any pictures?

Also just a bit of advice: a 2.5 gal is a bit too small for 2 bettas, especially a male and female. The female may become eggbound and it could cause some problems.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 
wah543

It's kind of hard to see because she's always moving around thats the best I could get, any thoughts of what I should do?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 
xjenuhfur

1) you shouldnt house male and female bettas together unless your breeding. I would suggest you get another tank and house them separately.
2) the bioload is too much for that small of a tank with two bettas. If you wanted tankmates I would suggest snails or shrimp.
3) Try removing her and housing her by herself. I can't see what your really seeing with these pictures. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #6 
wah543

I don't really have another tank at the moment, but one of her bottom paired fins has a little red speck at the end of it. In the second picture both fins are kind of stretched out and I circled the fin that has the red speck at the end.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 
ZackyBear

I see the red spec. For a tank that small with 2 bettas you should change the water IMO maybe every other day. (at least until you can get another tank)

It could be ammonia building up and burning a bit. Ammonia build up is nasty stuff and can literally burn your poor bettas fins off.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 
xjenuhfur

Ammonia burns could be a possibility. I would def keep the water clean, with a tank so small for two fish I would change the water often. And at least a few times a week because of the bioload on such a small tank, and try to get either another small tank to separate or a larger tank to divide. Are you sure she didn't snag herself on anything in teh tank or on the divider?

If it is ammonia burns, it can cause fin rot. Which is caused by poor water quality.
Quote:
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

Last edited by xjenuhfur; 05-09-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 
wah543

I don't think she hurt herself on the divider or anything in the tank, nothings that sharp. I think it was because I missed a week of changing the water
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #10 
xjenuhfur

Uh yeah. You need to change the water at least twice a week and gravel vaccuum. For small tanks a turkey baster works as a vaccuum. :) the water changes are the wrist part but you gotta remember to do them. I have a calendar and every tues and fri I do mine. :)