Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #1 
Atena

help! Little white spots all over :(

Guppy has tiny white spots all over his body. What do I do?

The water PH shot up today, I changed 90% of the water then I saw him sitting right under his light when I noticed the spots. They are not blotches, they are tiny tiny white dots and he has them all over.

He is swimming around just fine and is eating like an animal.

What do I do?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 
LinkLover

He might have ich, it just might be too early for him to have other symptoms. I would isolate him just in case and if it is ick, start AQ salt treatment.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

As LinkLover said, he might have ich. Since he is a Guppy, there must be others in his tank. Ich is a CONTAGIOUS sickness. If 1 fish has it, the others might get it as well. This means you have to cure the WHOLE tank. The BEST WAY to CURE Ich is to have a high temperature & have Aquarium or Epsom salt. In other words, HEAT & SALT= BEST CURE FOR ICH. Good Luck!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #4 
Mo

Guppy is a Betta. FWI.

I would diagnose him with ich, this disease is slightly contagious but only to stressed fish or fish with a weakened immunes system, ich itself is virtually always in the aquarium water so of onne fish has ich, the others aren't guaranteed to get it, or there probability doesn't increase dramatically. Epsom salt should not be used to treat ich as it doesn't treat it well. Ideally you would want aquarium salt, at the dosage recommended on the bottle along with raising the tank temperature a bit to 83-85
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 
Atena

No no, he is a batta, and an only fish and his name is Guppy.

From what I read on other parts of this forum it has to be Ich.

I got some Aquarium salt and some quick cure. can I use them together?

Should I?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #6 
Atena

I put the heater in, no time to test it. I will be keeping a close eye over the next few hours.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, WHOOPS.
Sorry! That is a really nice name actually.
Aquarium Salt & Hot Water up to 82F- 87F should do the trick. Use the recommended dosage, as what Mo said. AND, be careful, I have heard that a REALLY BAD CASE OF ICH can stand to 90F! Oh, I am just telling you what I've heard. I don't think that your Ich would do this. Make sure the water is VERY clean, have AQ & Heat, provide no stress, and Good Luck!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #8 
Atena

I just changed the water so he is a little stressed. This is only day 15 of my Betta care experience. I feel just terrible. :(

I added the salt and the heater. How long before he feels better?

What is AQ?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #9 
Mo

He should feel better as the disease goes away, this will be virtually unable to predict and exact time to as when he will heal, with the active ingredients of the quick cure being methylene blue, the aquarium salt, and a raised temperature with a relatively small case of ich I would say 5 days max for it to go away

AQ is aquarium salt I believe
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

AQ stands for Aquarium Salt. You are doing the right thing. Don't worry. All Betta Fish owners experience this sickness sooner or later. Uhhh... I think a few days after you see the white dots disappearing he would be better. To make sure that the parasites are gone, you have to continue treatment for 1 more week, even if the white dots are gone.