Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #21 
Atena

Thank you so much for the advice, I am a little confused and was wondering if you mind clarifying for me...

Just so I understand, I should add 3 tsp. of salt per gallon total over a period of 36 hours (1 tsp every 12 hours). then change the 100% water 12 hours after that with new water, pre-salted to the higher dosage?

Then continue to change 100% of the water with the higher dosage every day, for 14 days ever day.

Will this amount of salt be okay for the fish for 14 days?

Will changing 100% of the water be too much stress for Guppy?

Do I need to remove plants and gravel from the tank that is already there or are you referring to new gravel if I bring it in?

If I treat the whole tank doesn't it take care of all the ich living in the tank?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #22 
ANHEL123

I just spoke to Oldfishlady and 2 tsp/gall is enough.
So just pre mix 2 tsp/gall in one gall jug for the right dosage and do 100% water changes every 24 hrs. And replace his water with new pre mixed 2 tsp/gall water.

You need to do 100% water changes make sure you get rid of the parasites don't worry to stress him out with it. I do 100% all the time for my bettas.

Definitely remove the plants. Like i learned from Sena quarantine them. Put them in the water NO water conditioner. Ich will die.

Remove the gravel while you treating him and caves if you have it. I personally don't like to disinfect the gravel. But wait for advice from other people. If your gravel have ridges and holes i would not disinfect them.

You can treat him in the tank and every time when you change the water have his cup where you put him ready ( clean and air dried) and wash his tank very well and dry it out. Also when you change the water wash the heater and thermometer. Make sure you disconnect the heater in advanced. Be careful don't take heater out or leave it without water if it working.

Now you can do it differently. It again Oldfishlady recommendation.

2 cup method-use 2 cups and change/switch them everyday using premix treatment water-salt 2tsp/gal in bad cases-if mild I don't use salt-

100% water change every 24h

The small cup can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp
Temp 86F stops reproduction

Let the unused cup and net if used sit dry for the 24h and this will kill any parasites.

So basically you just switching the cups every day.

Usually aquarium salt treatment for 10 days minimum.

Please let me know if i confused you . I will clarify it or someone on the forum will.

Good luck....

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-09-2012 at 06:54 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #23 
ANHEL123

You don't have to wait for 12 hrs you can go ahead and just pre mix 2 tsp/gall.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #24 
Atena

Okay, that is a little clearer. Thanks you.

I am worried because one of his eyes is starting to pop out a little what do I do about that?

He is also turning a little more lethargic, but swims up to me when I come to the tank. Still eating well.

I will get all new gravel after this is over,and keep him in his half gallon tank when cleaning the tank and take everything out of it. I will be sure to dry everything before re-using it and will use disposable cups.

I already removed the plants and put them in a plastic container with the ick medication out on the porch. I will leave them out for at least 2 weeks. If they survive I will ask what to do then.

I only have the one tank and don't have another one to put him in. my heater barely keeps the temperature at 83 even though Iset it to its highest setting. I will be adjusting the water temperature with hot and cold water to get it to match what he already has so there is no shock during cleanings.

I will do the first one at 8pm tonight then again at 8am.

Can I leave his leaf hammock in if I clean it really well?

He likes to rest near the surface. Should I take the filter out for now?

It seems redundant if the water gets completely changed every 12 hours.

Thank you so much for the help.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

1)As for plants you don't have to use medications. Take them out and just put them in the water without medication and no water conditioner.

2) Can you show us his picture with ich?

3) You are going to use 2.5 gall tank for treatment right?
4) You wrote that you will using 0.5 gall tank when you clean his 2.5 gall. You don't have to it too much for you. You can use the cup he came in from the store. Just clean it after every time you have him there. With hot water and let it air dry untill you are using it next time

5) Every time when you change the water have this cup from the store that you going to put him in while you are cleaning filled up with new water (with 2tsp aq salt/gall).

6) Clean his 2.5 gall tank with hot water (take everything out)
7) Fill up 2.5 gall tank with new salt water. Don't forget to put water conditioner everytime when you mix water and salt. Put him thare.

* Also you can prepare his salt water in advanced. Pre mix it with salt and water conditioner and let it stay 24 hrs. Than when you ready to change just add warmer water of course pre mix with salt. You can heat it up with a heater in the tank also.

8) I think you didn't see my last thread. Don't have to do 8 pm and 8 am. Just pre mix 2 tsp/gall now and change him. You don't have to do it 12 hrs apart.

9) Water changes every 24 hrs not 12 hrs

10) While you are treating him take filter out you don't need it. Wash it very well . Keep it out.

11) His leaf hammock you can leave it but wash it every time when you change the water and dry it up

Oh guys please help if i missed anything or if you want to add anything or ...

Atena do you have questions? Can you put his picture?

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-09-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #26 
Atena

Just did the water change and took out all his toys. I am just heartbroken. :(

He had such a beautiful home, now he looks so sad. Poor baby.

The good news is, it seems there are fewer spots already. I hope he gets better quickly.

Fed him his dinner after the water change and he ate very well. now he is just sleeping on his little hammock.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #27 
Atena

I don't have a cup because i adopted him in the half gallon tank. but I did use a plastic cup that I covered with a plate so he doesn't jump out while cleaning his tank.

I am very glad I don't have to do this again till tomorrow night.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #28 
Atena

one more question. Now with the filter out, there is no circulation in the tank. will the heater create a hot spot this way?

Is this something I should worry about?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #29 
ANHEL123

Don't worry about hot spot. And i saw that you have a thermometer in the tank. Just watch for the temperature.

Also while i was talking to you i was talking to Oldfishlady . The reason why i got worry because you wrote that his eye starting to pop out. I really need to know if it is. From the picture i can't see it. And even i think i can see both eyes on the side of the tank and it not poped out.

We need to know that because Oldfishlady recommended to use Epsom salt if it pop eye. From your picture it not. How is his other eye?

Just don't worry what you doing it still good. Sorry i couldn't answer you earlier.

If he doesn't have pop eye than you need to continue what i wrote for you . 2 tsp/gall with daily water changes. Let us know if you have more questions.

Now if he has pop eye that what Oldfishlady wrote to me:

Use Epsom salt 3tsp/gal instead of aquarium salt if you suspect popeye.....salt for Ich is mainly for a secondary infection due to the wounds left as the parasite detaches and Epsom salt with take care of that too as well as the edema from the popeye.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-10-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #30 
ao
TFK Moderator

I would recomment that you do a 100% water change one you see the spots dissappear and clean the tank thoroughly, as well as using as little of the original water as possible, this eliminates as much of the baby parasites as possible.

I used kordon's ich attack with success before, but had to dose at 4times the recommended amount every 6 hours.... I wouldn't say I recommend it as it is expensive and some people say it doesn't work, but it's the only medication I could use at the time with my plants and inverts. just a note.
Never had a run in with popeye before, but I wish you all the best!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote