Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #51 
ANHEL123

I don't think anyone can really guaranty that it completely gone and don't come back.

Some people saying to treat at least 3 days past the last day you could see the ich on the fish to make sure you got the ones that may be hiding in the gill area.

Other i read wrote continues treatment 6 days after the spots have disappeared. The ich parasite goes through a life cycle and another outbreak can occur within a few days if the parasite infestation isn't completely eradicated. So i think you will need to check him after you done with treatment for a week make sure it didn't come back.

I also would wait before i put his decorations in the tank. Wait for a week.

Does he still has those white spots? If not than how long ago it disappeared?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #52 
Atena

The spots went away on day 4. Completely spot free on day 5. we are on day 9 of treatment. I will continue to day 14 as it is better to be safe than sorry.

I will put in his rock bridge and filter then wait with the rest of the stuff until a little down the line.

I am wondering how I should finish treatment?

Option A: Gradually decrease salt and meds by doing 25% water changes every week until there are none left in the tank.

Option B: continue 100% water changes every few days, decreasing the amount of salt by 1 teaspoon over time until none is needed.

Option C: Start fresh with the final 100% water change on day 14 and add no salt or meds.

What do you think will be easiest for Guppy to handle?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #53 
ANHEL123

Ok i just texted Oldfishlady about it and this was her recommendations:

I like to treat for 3 days past the last day I could see any Ich spots on the fish-to help ensure none are hiding in the gills....

Once I stop treatment I will make 25% water changes every 15min using fresh dechlorinated water for about 30min and then do a 10-15min acclimation to the tank water itself like with a new fish or 100% water change once I have them back in fresh water.

So i think you don't need to treat for 14 days just finish 10 days treatment though.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #54 
ANHEL123

If you worry too much just to be on safe side do it for 11 days. Since some people saying continue to treat 6 days and some 4 days after you see symptoms. And i saw someone wrote not longer than 14 days.

But i don't think anyone would recommend to you to use medications.

And again watch him some time after the treatment make sure it don't come back.

Now i know you disinfect the filter and siphon. Please ask people about that. Make sure it ok to disinfect the filter. Or run water through it. The same with siphon.

Also decoration that you disinfected with vinegar, make sure you wash it wary well and like you wrote soak in the clean water. Let it air dried. And let it sit in a sun. After that rinse it again.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #55 
Atena

I am replacing the filter cartage, just disinfected the filter housing. I rinsed them all well then soaked for a day in clean water. Now drying out. I will rinse again before putting back in the tank.

I have wait three more days as my house is getting tented for termites so I will have to do it after we all get to move back in.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #56 
ANHEL123

Keep us update. I hope he is free from ich. When you don't with treatment you can lower the temperature gradually. About degree every couple of hours. A normal tank will fluctuate more than that anyway during summer. I don't have heaters in the summer and temperature fluctuate more then 5*. It gradually though....
Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #57 
Atena

Thank you, that is a big help.

So far today he is doing okay and is somewhat more active.

I have lowered the dosage on the medication but am keeping up the salt.

He ate his breakfast just fine, though only the small bits, still would not eat the larger pallets, even though they used to be his favorite. I don't get it, but as long as he eats and seems happy I am good.

This is a photo I took of him today;

Atena :)
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #58 
ANHEL123

Looks good but i missed the medications part. I didn't know you have him on medications. If you give him also medications than 10 days of the aq salt is enough. Since it 6 days after you saw physical symptoms on his body.

I don't know why he don't eat whole pellet. Try to feed him a couple times a day. Or maybe even more than that. How many times a day you feeding him. What kind of pellets do you have. I love Aqueon,New Life SPECTRUM . I really don't like to feed them with flakes. They are massy ...and people saying they can get bloated from it.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #59 
Atena

He loves the flakes and as long as I am doing daily water changes the mess is not a problem.

I am figuring out that picking the small crumbs out and feeding them one at a time keeps it clean. No bloating so far. But he only gets them ones in a while.

I am not sure what kind of pallets, they came in a ziploc bag from his former home. All I know is they are betta pallets.

He also likes the granule food I got him at pesmart, it is allso called pallets, but it is much smaller and comes in a heart shaped blister case with the dispenser build into it.

I feed him twice a day usually. His regular food was 3 pallets twice a day, but since the water changes i have been giving him 2 pallets three times a day so I can give him a treat after the water change.

it is made by mars fishcare, its called API Betta. but when I read the ingredients there is still a lot of vegetable and wheat in it. The pallets are the only ones that have actual fish products, salmon, shrimp etc. I read somewhere on this forum that Bettas are carnivores and vegetable products can be harmful. Is this not right?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #60 
ANHEL123

I would not feed the one's that came in the back from former owner. Since you don't know they might be expired.
The one that you have in a heart shaped blister case are fine.
The brands i wrote for you is actually betta pellets. I just like to alternate between different pellets. I give them a few different brands. The one that i wrote are also really good so if you have a chance you can buy one of the brand. I read on the forum that New Life SPECTRUM Betta Formula(pellets) one of the best. I think all betta pellets have pretty much the same ingredients. I just read my bottles it a lot of vitamins and shrimp meat, garlic, wheat germs.....You can actually try to feed him cooked shrimp. He will like it. Just little tiny pieces of cooked shrimp. Be careful if you will he can jump for it.

I know some of them have expiration date some not. The one i have they do have date on the bottle.

I know when you do 100% water changes you get rid all that on the bottom, that is why i love to do 100%. Also yes i always feed all my bettas one pellet a time.