Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

I saw that you contacted me on FB, but I'm all over the place lately with Joe in the hospital, my truck on the fritz and my sister visiting. I would have guessed the same as OFL, sudden change with compromised fish. I had this happen a few weeks ago, my fish were getting sick so I did a full tank clean. Found out that my thermometer busted and was slowly poisoning them. Once I did the full water change (meanwhile keeping my filter stable with cycle) it wasn't enough to keep them safe :( I lost all my first girls, except for Yuuna. She's still kicking and happy and now has 5 new sisters. I think with everything going on, maybe taking a break until you get into a routine with the new baby is best. Spoil that little girl rotten, and maybe get another with another tank and have them side by side :) Then, start the Betta craze again!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #12 
Kiwimommy

I'm just frustrated with it all. I know people who buy bettas and keep them in vases, change the water whenever it gets gross, no filter or heater, nothing added to the water..and their fish live 2 years.
I've been lucky to get 4 months out of mine in a filtered, heated and well cared for 10 gallon tank.
Heck, My mom had a 20 gallon tank with tetras and a very large pleco (much too large for her tank) and they survived quite some time without one single water change.
I don't get it. It seems fish that get less care live longer than ones that are cared for very well. I've seen ich (treated it and all was well..this was many months ago and those fish have since died), I've seen pineconing in multiple fish, popeye in a molly, and random fish death for no reason I could determine...
I ADORE fish, but they seem to hate me. My first betta lived a good year or so in a vase with a plant at the top. Mind you I was probably 10 or 11 at the time and had no idea about the requirements for bettas, yet my fish lived?
I quarantined the pineconing bettas (turns out the one I assumed was dead was not, and both are still alive) and the healthy betta is still in the 10 gallon by herself. She seems to be healthy, but her appetite isn't what it usually is.. Either she's going to die on me too or she's stressed by her pineconed friends.
I know some algae is okay, but it seemed to be overgrowing. My partner had gotten me an algae eater..but it refused to touch the algae and then died because it never once came out of hiding.
I'm beginning to think that fish just aren't my thing. I have better luck with things that don't live in water, like birds. They don't die on me until they're quite old usually.
Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote